How to attach furniture.

Ricky40

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if there are any tutorials on arching furniture to a home. So I could put a home together and then once I am done fond a place to rent. Is it easy to do? I am not talking about building my own, I mean buying furniture seperatly and attaching I to a house or skybox that I also purchased.

You do not want to do this - any more than you would want to super-glue all your furniture in your real apartment to the floor, including super-gluing the bed sheets to the bed!

First of all, most furniture has scripts in it, at least for sitting. Those scripts, as well as the scripts for the skybox, will break if you lump them together into one linkset.

Second, there is no heriarchical linking in SL, so once linked, the prims are all one linkset, with no easy way to split them apart again into what was once a chair, a table and the skybox.

And finally, there are limits to how many prims you can link together - 255 prims is the limit. So even if it made sense to link it all together, most homes have more prims than that just in the house alone. by the time you add only a few items of furniture, you'll exceed that limit.

If you're worried about moving stuff as a unit, just shift-click to select multiple things at once.

One option would be to use a rez box.  Your home and all the items in it would need to be modifiable AND if you want to be able to rez it more than one time, copyable.  Unless your comfortable using building tools, you may want to just consider buy a fully furnished house where the furniture is in the rez box and rezzes out with the house.

What you need to do is obtain a rez box , Set  your your home up as you like. and rez the rez box out in the center of it in a convenient place such as at the front center of the house. You  put a script in the contents of each link set called a positioner or tracker script, depending on the system your using.  You will receive a message that the link set's position is recorded.  You then take up each link set to your inventory and put it in the rez box.

If you buy a house that is already in a rez box you will need to delete the tracking/positioning script in each link set before putting the new one in.  If you happen to buy a rez box that is the same brand and version that the house is packed in you don't need to do this.  You can simply reset the scripts instead of putting a new one in.  Note that you can't use the same rez box that the house comes in and simply add the furniture, as a rez box has certain scripts removed from it when the builder prepares it for resale and therefore it won't record the position of the furniture.

One final note of caution:  DO NOT do this thinking you can then just use the box to rez out the house on someone else's land, empty LL owned land, public land or a sandbox and use it as a house, even for a short time.  This is squatting and you can be AR'd for doing it and banned and booted from private land.  You may pack your house and furniture in a sandbox, but then will need to rent or buy land to rez it out again to use the house.

• 3 months later...

I'm new in here, I want to see model of houses and right way on placing furnitures. What is the point of buying a newer, larger home if you cannot load it up with beautiful things? Many people buying a home will end up purchasing a lot of furniture also. Since that is not integrated in the mortgage, you will need some way to cover it.

ricmiller wrote:

I'm new in here, I want to see model of houses and right way on placing furnitures. What is the point of buying a newer, larger home if you cannot load it up with beautiful things? Many people buying a home will end up purchasing a lot of
also. Since that is not integrated in the mortgage, you will need some way to cover it.

Do you mean you want to rent a furnished home or buy a furnished prefab home? Either way there are allot of businesses in SL that cater to both of these requirements.

I'm not sure what the concern is.  In RL, unless you rent a furnished apartment or (almost unheard of) a furnished house, you still have to go buy furniture.   Same thing in SL.  If you buy or build a house, you still have to buy or create your own furniture.  You "cover it" from your bank account, just the way to do in RL. 

The only limit you face in SL that is not the same as in RL is the prim limit.  Your parcel has a prim allowance that is directly proportional to its area.  A good rule of thumb is that your house should take less than 1/3 of that allowance, leaving you plenty of prims to use for furniture and landscaping.  So, if you have a 512 sq m parcel, you should plan on buying or building a house with 39 prims or fewer so that you still have 75 prims of your 117 prim allowance to use on furnishings.  If you buy and build wisely, you can do quite a lot of decorating with that much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.