I Need Help Choosing A PC That Will Run SL Smoothly

VauhnHelfer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I will be getting a faster fiber optic ISP soon, which should help my speed some. I am running a little over 700 kbps (DSL) now.I know now that I can never enjoy SL until I get a PC and ISP which can keep up with the hard to load sims and clubs in SL. You can view my system info on a screenshot I saved by clicking here.If anyone has any suggestions on a PC that can perform well in SL please let me know.

why are there not 20 replies already??

I have been using and i5 CPU with an nvidia GTX 550 ti GPU and I've been pretty happy.

I recently purchased a GTX 660 ti and it appears that most of the additional punch of the 660 card is going into better quality graphics rather than frame rates.  (the thread "GPU disappointment" is where I whine about this.)  At High settings I did not personally experience any changes in FPS going from the 550 to the 660.  I was, however, able to go to Ultra settings with a fairly modest loss in frame rates and the rez in time for textures seems to have improved a bit.

You'll want to consider your usage (and budget) in choosing a GPU.  Whatever you decide be aware that off-the-shelf computers often lack a large enough power supply to support a mid-to-high end GPU, you may need to upgrade. 

I also have a GT 520 card at work and while it is better than nothing (older computer with a modest CPU) I am planning to move a 550 card into that machine (replacement power supply has arrived).  My recommendation is something comparable to the 550 card  as a minimum.  

The i5 is likely overkill for SL and it is certainly more than is needed for typical office applications.  But I like having the CPU power around just in case. 

OK

Simply put; this system will not run SL.

Your graphics chip is inadequate, and your processor and RAM barely capable.

If this laptop can run a dedicated Graphics Processor, which I doubt, you may be OK.  Essentially you need an nVidia or AMD GPU which will handle the graphics processing load that SL will place on your computer.  You don't state your OS, but I would guess it is Windows 7, since it is 64 bit.

To keep up with current practice in SL I would suggest a more powerful computer capable of running a dedicated GPU and  more RAM.  I know that sounds harsh and expensive, but the Lindens really do not create their system to be friendly to older set-ups.

There may well be more technically minded folk who can offer less drastic solutions!  Good Luck.

Thanks for your response, VRprofessor. My PC is just a cheap laptop. There is no way I will be able to upgrade this one to make it compatable with SL. My FPS is well below 10, and usually below 5. It is impossible to run SL with such a mindless PC.I will be looking for a new PC with similar processor and graphics card as those you have mentioned.

Thanks Ayesha Askham

You have been very helpful also.I think you are right, I really will need a whole new PC , with a power supply that is able to run the GPU needed for SL. I really think SL can only be truly enjoyed by those who are able to run it on the "Ultra" setting. At this setting you can see the clouds in the sky and many other details. When I go to this setting my av no longer moves. Thanks again to everyone who responded with helpful info:man :manvery-happy:

Looking at the snap of the computer performance screen, the computer is not that bad. Generally 5.8. However the graphics card sucks and is what holds the machine to a performance rating of 3.4.

Get a new graphics card off eBay and you should see a big improvment. If it is a laptop, you are probably screwed.

The Core2 CPU you have is gettnig old. But you could probably put a Core2 Quad 3.2ghz CPU in the board. Tha too would help. You'll have to look up the specs on your mother board to find out for sure. Use the free program CPU-Z to get the motherboard information.

If you decide to go with a new computer be sure to 4gb or more of memory and the fastest memory the motherboard will handle. For Second Life you can get by with a moderate graphics card, preferably nVidia as nVidia works better with SL. nVidia 400's are cheap in eBay and 500's are coming down now that the 600's are out.

The new i3 and i5 Intel CPU's are OK but the i3 is more for video than games. The i7 is the best for games. The i5 is in between.

Other games are more dependent on the graphics card than SL is. A big step up in graphics card doesn't give you a big step in SL performance. The memory, CPU, and graphics card combnation ALL affects SL's preformance. They all need to upgrade to really help performance.

Thank you very much for your informative reply also,Nalates Urriah. You have given a lot to consider for my next PC purchase. Unfortunately the one I am using now is a laptop, so I cannot do much upgrading on it.I will probably choose the Inel i7 processor and Invidia graphics card. I will make sure I have the maximum speed and power needed before buying. I will keep in mind what you said, "Other games are more dependent on the graphics card than SL is.A big step up in graphics card doesn't give you a big step in SL performance.The memory, CPU, and graphics card combnation ALL affects SL's preformance. They all need to upgrade to really help performance."

I suggest that you should try and got for the newest of equipment if you can afford it, it doesn't have to be the top of the line components, an Intel 3570 (doesn't have to be the "k" model unless you plan of overclocking).

A 660ti should be suitable for what you are need and at most you would only need a 650w psu to run them, they would also produce less heat in your system to keep it quieter. Also to add an SSD(solid state) will help too as it can read data faster then what  is capable of a HDD(Hard Disk)

P.S. I would suggest  you keep away from PC manufactures as they will usually give you the bare minimum to run stuff just to run an operating system.

If you are buying a 600 series NVidia card, make sure you get a motherboard that supports PCIe3. It won't make a difference for SL, or most applications at the moment, but it will prepare you for the future. The PCIe3 bus is twice as large as the PCIe2 one, so it can use the full potential of your graphics card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.