Making A Cross

Yashino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am having an issue in blender 2.6 in creating a sculpted cross. Need ideas I have tried it with the Cube, but got frustrated with that and use the SL typ prims of Cyl and Bricks but to no avail, any ideas to over come this are welcome

I agree with hibit.  You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a prim is and what sculpties are.  You can't make a cross out of a single standard-issue prim.  With a bit of work, you could make one as a sculpty (I'd suggest starting with a plane and folding it, origami-style), but I suspect it will be a frustrating exercise with disappointing results.  Your two easiest options are

1. Link two standard rectangular prims at right angles or

2. Create a mesh object.

I would simply build it in mesh instead of a sculpt. A cross like that is more or less the most basic extrusion object one can make. Using a sculpty you need 2000 faces, which will be a load on the system compared to the 44 you need when building a cross in mesh.

If you absolutely want to use a sculpty, we need some more information. Could you at least tell or show us your workflow and preferrably show a wireframe of the cross? I suspect you did more to the cylinder than just moving around vertices, which simply does not work for a sculpty.

That looks OK to me.  I just did essentially the same thing and uploaded the UV map to SL.  Here's mine....

Cross_001.jpg

Did you remember to remove modifiers when you were in Blender, so that you get square edges?  Did you remember to apply t6he cylinder stitching type in SL instead of the default sphere?

Your pics are so small that it is hard to tell for sure if what I think I am seeign is correct or not, but assuming I am seeing correctly then you have a problem with your distribution of vertices/edge loops.  It looks like the vertical staff portion is subdivided by 5 edge loops, but the horizontal section has no subdivisions.   Please remember that you are gonna loose 1/4 of your edge loops for each drop in LOD.  So this might very well explain why you are getting what you say you are getting upon upload to SL.

Normally a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case the total lack of explained workflow leaves me clueless. The model I see can be made several ways, wrong or right.

Is your starting cylinder the right amount of vertices? Did you merge any of them? Did you extrude faces?

I don't work with Blender, but that sculpt map (colory thing on the right) doesn't look right to me.

btw, if anyone has issues with the small pictures, simply click Yashino's name and search in the pictures.

Thanks for the reminder, Kwakkelde.  I just blew up Yashino's images large enough to read the tiny print.  As I suspected, he has applied a Clark-Catmull modifier, which attempts to smooth all of the joints in his model. 

@Yashino -- Click the X in the upper right corner of the panel for modifiers to turn them off.  That will sharpen up your joints.

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

That could be constructed pretty simple out of mesh. One cube is all you need. add a few loop cuts to extrude the sides. then ad some loop cuts to the edges to work them out a little and make them look softer. Would use less faces thats fer sure...

Yes.  To make my sample cross, I ended up having to waste a lot of faces by squishing them together.  Because you can't remove vertices in a sculpty, those faces are still there -- just crammed into edges in the final model. 

I see what you mean.  The two images that at least look like UV maps (the low rectangular one and the square one) are all scrambled.  When you apply them to an in-world object, they are a mess -- nothing like a cross.  The other two images aren't even UV maps.  I don't know what they are.  My guess is that you extruded faces and then tried to save the result as a sculpty.  That won't work.  I doubt that it will help you much, but here's the UV map for my cross, which also started as an oblong cylinder ......

cross.png

I don't know what to suggest, except that it might be a good idea to go back and work through the tutorial videos on Gaia Clary's Machinimatrix site.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.