Why do I keep crashing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good Question. 

What graphics quality setting are you using? 

Did it work before and start crashing lately or have you never been able to get on?  (I've had an unusal amount of crashing in the last two days.  I've seen at least one other thread, but many respondants are reporting no problems.  Go figure.)

Have you made any changes to your system lately?  Especially software.

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Mikey

Freezing then crashing can be a sign of an interruption in your connection.

However, you can get more of a clue if you select to "view consoles" from the Advanced menu at top of screen.  You have to relog for the second (console) window to show up though, and when you next freeze up, look at the console window and you'll see if it's your connection not responding, or you might get another clue as to what is causing your problem.

It could be because of the deploys that took place this week, although I have spent several consecutive hours inworld and not had first hand experience of this happening.

You're not using wireless are you? 

My GPU and basically my whole computer is less powerful than the OP's yet I don't crash any more than anyone else.

For the OP - maybe try different viewers? Unless youREALLY want to see mesh crap, you don't need V3. Some might say, "But V1 and V2 are going to be phased out". Sure they are, that is why I still use V1 almost 3 years after it was to be "phased out".

MoiselleErin Teardrop wrote:

My GPU and basically my whole computer is less powerful than the OP's yet I don't crash any more than anyone else.

For the OP - maybe try different viewers? Unless youREALLY want to see mesh crap, you don't need V3. Some might say, "But V1 and V2 are going to be phased out". Sure they are, that is why I still use V1 almost 3 years after it was to be "phased out".

I absolutely agree with all of this. Mesh may well be here, but why make life harder for ourselves until/unless we absolutely have to!

You didn't list what graphics card you are using, and that can make a huge difference in if your computer will puke on you when you can. however, I get on occassionally at work and my work computer is probably on par with your other settings and I don't crash, so my guess would be internet connection issues. but...I would stay away from the official SL viewers, they are horrible on resources. Check out Phoenix, i use it on my main computers but i especially love to use it on my systems that aren't quite as good as my main machine and it works like a champ.

Deja Letov wrote:

You didn't list what graphics card you are using, and that can make a huge difference in if your computer will puke on you

Actually he did: the Intel graphics that's on the MB of the laptop—and that might very well be the problem. When I first started I was using a laptop with a decent CPU and I'd bumped up the RAM but it still only had the on-board Intel graphics. That was back in V1 days. I could move and get around with it but I had to be careful. Half the time just going into 'Edit Appearance' would crash me.

BTW I use Phoenix too; just never wanted to take the time to learn a new UI, plus my hardware won't let me take full advantage of some of the new stuff anyway. The current version almost always shows mesh properly, for me anyway.

Hello,

May I suggest teh following, after experiencing unstable sl experiences when I move from phoenix to Firtestorm myself.

www.intel.com, click , support, downloads, drivers, select and install the activ x to do the hardware search and upgrade video drivers from the manufacturer (they uptade at least once a month)

Uninstall ALL VIEWERS

goto the user folder/apps and find your phoneix/firestorm folder with cache/files and delete it

run an application like auslogics, registry cleaner

reboots

install a brand new version of ONE viewer (multiple viewers can be a troublesome experience if the viewers are not configured to deposit information/cache in specific folders.)

try again. g'luck

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.