Can I be banned for using spam bots?

JobsFox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Yes you can if enough residents complain about your activities the  Community standards state

1. Disturbing the Peace

Every Resident has a right to live their Second Life. Disrupting scheduled events, repeated transmission of undesired advertising content, the use of repetitive sounds, following or self-spawning items, or other objects that intentionally slow server performance or inhibit another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life are examples of Disturbing the Peace.

And In 8:3  Of SL Terms of Service clearly states

You agree to respect both the integrity of the Service and the privacy of other users. You will not:

(ii) Post or transmit unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, or promotional materials, that are in the nature of "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation that Linden Lab considers to be of such nature

If you did not ask permission to advertise or spam somones group then it is clearly undesired advertising content as stated in number 6 of community standards... It should be common respect for users to respect someone eslses group or business that they worked hard to build and payed for... Build your own and use search...

Spamming is about the most disrespectful thing you can do to others in the community. A sure fire way to kill your business and reputation as a respectable community member, in my own oppinion.

• Like 3

Well, you can certainly be banned from the groups.  That happens all the time.  Unless you're spamming your own group, I think you'll find many (most?) people think that ad spamming in groups is abhorrent.  The obvious way to protect yourself, then, is not to do it.  Now, can you be banned from SL for it?  Yes.  After all, Linden Lab can ban or eject you any time that they determine that you are doing something that jeopardizes their business.  In this case, they have the Community Standards (referenced in the TOS) as a justification: "Disrupting scheduled events, repeated transmission of undesired advertising content, the use of repetitive sounds, following or self-spawning items, or other objects that intentionally slow server performance or inhibit another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life are examples of Disturbing the Peace."  Disturbing the Peace is something to avoid.  Disturbing a lot of people at once is a good way to get caught.  

There's a big gray area here, of course.  How much advertizing is too much?  How much is "repeated" and what is "undesired"?  There are plenty of people who run legitimate advertizing operations in SL without being a nuisance, so the trick is to find out when you are getting too close to the line.  If you want to get a cross-section of opinions (not necessarily unbiased, but a start...) , try positing a version of your question in the General Discussions forum and see where it goes.

• Like 3

JobsFox wrote:

I want to use spam bots to advertise into groups. 

My question is - can I be banned for this activity?

Yes, and quite rightfully so.

JobsFox wrote:

Is there guidance from LL and what can I do to protect myself?

Don't spam.  Not only is it douchebag behavior that will hurt the brand you're spamvertising more than it helps, it's a great way to get permabanned.  We have Classified ads and a Marketplace for a reason.  Use those instead.

• Like 2

You can and WILL be banned for spamming.  There is always someone in a group willing to take the time to 1)eject you from the group, 2) Mute you, and 3) File an Abuse Report with Linden Lab.  Usually this will happen the very first time you post advertising into a group chat.

Don't do it.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.