Avatar Skin Layer Rubber/Shine Script

Duncan Lynwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am attempting to make the base skin for my avatar shiny, to give it a rubber look. I easily did this with the prim parts of my avatar by turning up the shine level in the texture tab in the edit menu, however I would like for my body to have the same shiny effect, if not close enough to it. With the right scripts, anything is possible right? How difficult would it be to make a script that effects the base avatar and allows the user to add shine levels to it in the same way there are shine levels on any prim? Who would be able to do it? If you need a reference, heres a picture of what I'm trying to do.

Snapshot_001.jpg

Take a look at llSetLInkPrimitiveParamsFast, which does the sort of thing you want to do.

You could say, for example, 

llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_SET,[PRIM_BUMP_SHINY,ALL_SIDES,PRIM_SHINY_MEDIUM,PRIM_BUMP_NONE]);

And you can use it on individual prims, too, by specifying a link number rather than LINK_SET.  

You'd then need to decide how the end user would tell the scripts what to do -- possibly by using llDialog.

Oh, I see.   I thought the OP wanted to control the appearance of a prim avatar by script.

@Duncan.  Sorry, but the skin mesh can't be affected by script.  You'll just have to try to make an appropriate skin using Gimp or Photoshop, but I can't see any way you could make it actually reflect light in the way shiny prims do.   

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Oh, I see.   I thought the OP wanted to control the appearance of a prim avatar by script.

@Duncan.  Sorry, but the skin mesh can't be affected by script.  You'll just have to try to make an appropriate skin using Gimp or Photoshop, but I can't see any way you could make it actually reflect light in the way shiny prims do.   

RIght. The fastest/easiest way to get a shiny skin look is probably to go to a latex clothing store and get a black catsuit. There are probably full face masks available at some of those stores, too. They won't match the sheen of prims with shine, but it'll be better than just a plain black skin.

I've also transparent/translucent skin overlays that give an oiled look. I imagine those would work over a solid colored skin, giving a shiny appearance.

I'm avidly looking for different skin mods for my crux, just so I can give it at least some sort of rubber look to wear when I feel like it. However my end goal is to make the skin mod you see in the picture look completely like rubber. I've considered using an oil tattoo layer or something. If I could find a transparent tattoo layer with a silvery tint to give my skin a latex look I'd be content with that for a while.

That's also crossed my mind as well. I would love to figure out some way to make that work, however I wouldn't say adding shine to a base avatar is completely impossible. I'm sure there's some way to do it using scripts. In any case, how I get my results is not important to me, what is important is getting the results, and making sure they look good. Do you think there's someone out there that would be willing to make a mesh copy of my base avatar body for me? How much money do you think it would cost? Would it be difficult to do so? And do you think I would be able to apply my body textures to the mesh body? The three textures that make up that skin cut off right at my waist and my neck, the two textures on my head and legs being solid grayish-black with my middle body texture being the main design of the body texture. I would probably need three pieces of mesh built to look exactly the same as my body when put together, otherwise the main texture would be stretched and not look the way I want it to. The part that would be from my waist down would need to cut off inside the thighs, because as it is the shin and ankle area of the digitigrade legs are prim with an alpha layer over the base avatar's legs past the point of the thigh. Any further thoughts or ideas on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Ah I see. Have we just haven't found the correct way to do it? Or is it that LL has made it impossible within the ability of scripting? Either way, it looks like my best bet to get my avatar exactly to my standards as soon as possible would be to use an external mesh. If anyone out there knows of a possible way to effect the base avatar mesh with scripts then by all means please post here.

Duncan Lynwood wrote:

Ah I see. Have we just haven't found the correct way to do it? Or is it that LL has made it impossible within the ability of scripting? Either way, it looks like my best bet to get my avatar exactly to my standards as soon as possible would be to use an external mesh. If anyone out there knows of a possible way to effect the base avatar mesh with scripts then by all means please post here.

We can't do it with LSL scripting.  The tools aren't there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.