Help I cant get any veiwer to boot up on my new laptop

Gemini Seriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I brought a Toshiba C600 satallite laptop . 64 bit

I have a i3 intel processer and the intel HD graphics card in it

Yet I cant get any type of veiwer to work old or new type

I checked all the drivers are up to date

Any idea what I can do to make it work

Its not a cheap laptop and designed for gaming

ok... according to the Toshiba website, they dont sell that model anymore.

the C650 has AMD Radeon™ HD 6310 as a graphics card, which isnt even close to the minimum required card found HERE

I dont know who told you it was a gaming Laptop, but they lied. According to the Toshiba website that is an everyday use laptop.

And I'm sorry but it is a cheap laptop. From any source the most expensive one is $350USD, which is dirt cheap for a laptop.

Gemini Seriman wrote:

It is not the C650 as you stated also not worth $350 as its £500 in england so worth aprox $750 over where you are .

I asked for help not to be insulted
, if you read the post you would see if has a high speek graphics card inside of it .

I have to concur with Drake regarding your lap top.

And I have no idea how he was in any way shape or form, insulting you. 

an i3 processor isn't realy top of the line at the moment anymore, Toshiba offers laptops with an i7 processor and an nvidea 525 card for around €750,- at the moment.

maybe you can specify wich intel HD graphics card you have?

SL is not like any other game, it asks much more from a graphics card I'm afraid.

Nobody insulted you, they just did some online research and gave you the results. Maybe you don't like the outcome but nothing wrong was said.

edit:

I found a Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-233 - intel i3-370M / 2GB DDR3 RAM GB HDD

for €440,- . 

Not a gaming laptop, but an everyday use one.  If they sold you a similar one as being a gamers laptop you need to go back and talk to the seller.

The Intel HD graphics is primarily for displaying video. It is not the GPU type chip found in dedicated graphics cards. It will work well for playing Facebook games, so some decided they can make the claim that such machines are 'gaming machines'.

The HD graphics chips tend to use system RAM rather than video RAM. The data transfer path for system RAM is slower than the dedicated video RAM path onboard a video card. For use with SL this is a big problem resulting in exceptionally poor performance.

Whatever laptop you settle on make sure it has a separate video chip. For use with SL the NVIDIA chips are preferable. Laptops tend to turn off the separate video chip to save battery power. So, even with a separate video chip you may have to explicitly tell the computer to use the chip with SL.

The i3 CPU's are a newer well performing chip. The I5 and I7 are newer and more powerful. All if the 'i' CPU's come in various core counts. The more cores the better. The i3 is the least expensive. With a decent video card it can handle SL. Search this forum to find out what type of frame rates people with i3 corese are getting. With fast memory an i3 and a good video chip should do better than my Core2 Quad with a similar video card, 15 to 30 FPS on HIGH w/L&S and Occlusion.

This is a cheap, basic Facebook machine. Stateside, it'd cost $350 anyday and any place. Sorry that you paid more. It's far from an ideal machine, however Intel's on-CPU graphics are a revelation over their older offerings. Your 3D accelerator should run Second Life at medium or better settings using a modern viewer such as Dolphin or Firestorm. Obviously, something else is wrong with your setup. I suggest you try uninstalling you acellerator drivers, then re-installing them with the latest ones procured from Intel's Website. If that fails, try using a third party viewer if you haven't already. I'm big on CoolVL for legacy and Dolphin 3.x for the newer branch, but your tastes may obviously vary. Why? TPVs implement various bugfixes from the JIRA bug tracker and elsewhere, meaning they're often going to be more stable, or at least work in certain situations where the official LL one won't.

Hi Gemini.

You didn't say what happens when you try to run SL butSeptimus is right, you should be able to run SL at low to medium settings with an i3 and the newer Intel integrated HD graphics (the next version will be even better but discrete cards still won't be losing any sleep over them).

Anyway, you were mis-sold this laptop so take it back.

Here is a UK website where you can choose from a wide variety of base laptops and alter the specifications to suit your needs and budget. Even if you buy elsewhere, this site will give you a good idea of what you should be able to get for your money. Just for fun, I put a nice gaming laptop together on this site for £648 with an i3 3110M CPU and Nvidis 650M GPU.

Drake, I'm not sure why you said the AMD Radeon™ HD 6310 is not even close to the minimum requirements. That System Requirements page you linked is at least two years out of date despite numerous requests to LL to rectify this. It's so out of date the AMD 6-series is not even mentioned let alone the even newer 7-series. While It's not relevant to the OPs laptop, the AMD Radeon HD 6310 is an entry level card that should be fine for Second Life at medium settings. Of course, the higher the card in the series, the better the performance.

Because that is the Official SL page for the minimum requirements.. If it needs updating how am i supposed to know? I don't work for them. Where would you send someone who asks where they can find an up to date minimum requirements page from LL then? I can only give out the info we have officially gotten from them, anything else is opinion.

So a card that wasn't good enough two years ago is now good enough? That doesn't make sense.

It took us maybe 12/15 months just to get LL to change the OS requirements from Windows 7 32-bit only to just Windows 7. Answers was flooded with people querying whether SL worked with Windows 7 64-bit, which of course it did. Torley Linden, who used to pop into Answers at times, even found it difficult to get the web people to change it.

I don't know when they will update the graphics card section. LL consider the Intel 945 chipset to be the absolute minimum but highly unlikely that will run a v3 viewer. As I already said, the AMD 6-series was not released when LL last updated the graphics card section and no 6-series cards are mentioned despite being released 2 years ago. LL only ever provide mimimum and recommended, they never provide a full list of acceptable cards. The gpu_table text file is more reliable as to supported cards. You can find it in your SL program folder.

Would this be able to run second life , as you said the chart isnt updated to the newer machines so am lost with all the new numbers coming out to the systems

Processor AMD A8-3530M Quad-Core Processor (1.9 GHz, 2 MB)
Cache memory 2MB
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
RAM 8GB
Graphics card

AMD Radeon™ HD6620G APU

That looks like the spec for this Samsung laptop:

Samsung Series 3 NP305V5A 15.6" Laptop - Silver

Quad-core AMD A8-3530M processor, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Memory: 8GB, Hard drive: 750GB, Graphics: AMD Radeon? HD 6620G

This uses a dual graphics system with processor and integrated graphics card combining to provide the graphics (the HD 6620G is an APU or Accelerated Processing Unit).SL doesn't like dual graphics cards very well but I don't know how it works with a dual CPU/GPU combination, it may be fine. Perhaps someone who uses one can comment on how it performs in SL, I just don't know. This is an inexpensive laptop at just £443.

What is your budget? Can you manage something a bit better with a decent discrete graphics card, in other words, the card is separate to the processing unit. With Nvidia cards, the first number is the series and the second where it lies in the series, the higher the second number the better. Pretty much the same for AMD.

As a single full time mother the top budget I have is £450( and thats tight) . I know its not great and why I am trying to find the best I can get for my budget . Yes it is for a samsung as it was the make of my rl before he left and he was on sl on it but dont know the model that he used

Hi Gemini,

I found this laptop which is in your price range at £469.99. It has an Intel i5 processor and Nvidia 630M graphics card, which is only an entry level card but you won't get more for the price. Has free delivery in the UK.

http://www.simplyacer.com/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1258612.html

I think this model is the same with 8MB RAM instead of 6 as above but 6 will be fine.

http://www.simplyacer.com/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1204252.html

I got these from this website if you want to look at others. Most at this price only have integrated graphics.

http://www.simplyacer.com/Products/cat/Consumer%20Laptops,Professional%20Laptops/page/4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.