Crazy Idea? Vendor connected to the direct delivery folders

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Like many of you, I have vendors.

Everytime I creat something, I have to update vendors, stick stuff in boxes, create entire vendors, this and that, inworld, outworld, etc.

Annoying.

But now we have these handy direct delivery folders.

And I was wondering if someone could perhaps try and figure out a system that lets vendors connect to our direct delivery folders.

Imagine the scene...

I create something, stick it in my DD folder, put the vendor on the wall somewhere, tell it which folder(s) to use and I'm ready.

People click the vendor and it loads the texture from my DD folder, give sthe notecard from my DD folder and when people pay it it gives them the item from my DD folder.

I think it would make things a little easier.

Could this work?

Has anyone experienced with this?

Sorry for being your wet blanket for today but... No. Just no. That is simply not possible. Scripts cannot access your avatar's inventory. Period.

One complicate way to achieve this would be to use a scripted agent, i.e. a bot, with a specialized interface. Still, that would be several levels of complexity above your simple idea.

If LL would allow script to access your avatar's inventory, either directly (My personal dream) or indirectly through the web (The dream of a lot of people), then we, scripters, could start to have some fun.

You can always write a letter to Santa... errr... I meant a Jira. Just do not hold your breath. LL has its plate full with big things already, like Pathfinding, Experiences Tools (i.e. gamification), Mesh Deformer, and what-not. Nothing will happen this year. Next year, we shall start talking about security issues related to scripted access to one avatar's inventory. And the year after that, we'll see...

Very good idea. Very unlikely to happen in any foreseeable future, alas.

While not possible at present, during the beta, an API to Direct Delivery was requested for exactly this purpose.

LL have over 200 marketplace JIRAs that appear to be progressing at a less than glacial pace so for something useful like this, I can't see it coming along in a hurry if at all.

Just make a vendor that opens a links to the items marketplace listing.  I did a short test with it on a few items where the customer would benefit from being able to read the full marketplace description.  I got a few sales from it, about what I would normal get, but really to short of a test to tell. 

Unfortunately this idea would open up security hole where avatar inventory would become easily hackable -- accessible to third parties in undesirable ways. Simple protection as Linden Lab does now is have no scripts connect to inventory.

It would be possible to accomplish something like this using proper industry-grade security but I do not trust Linden Lab would be capable to develop it -- nor would they desire to outlay the cash to real security professionals who could manage it.

I also think it wouldn't be necessary to access inventory. There is no fixed inventory folder from where the items on marketplace come. We just need an interface to trigger deliveries from our direct delivery area on marketplace. The function would accept the item name as input.

Only problem: how could we avoid, that evrybody can issue this function for our direct delivery area? This question may result in providing username/password as part of the function call. Do you really want to write your password into a script? Maybe it is possible to check if the owner of the script is also the owner of the direct delivery area,

You don't need a password in the script. The owner of the vendor is already accessible via script, as are a number of parameters in the http header. Just like any other vending system, your script would check for payment and then call the appropriate DD API instead of calling an inworld server to deliver. Very easy really.

Also, Pink Linden did ask via survey long ago as to whether merchants would pay for an LL vending system. Note PAY. The most important feature as it stood then was that it had to deliver 100% reliably and that's where DD brings us.

I doubt that there's any appetite for any more now and I suspect that based on observed achievement, it would be woefully lacking in features.

Sassy Romano wrote:

I doubt that there's any appetite for any more now and I suspect that based on observed achievement, it would be woefully lacking in features.

That was my first thought when I read the post.  Considering the current borked state of the MP, the last thing we need is to have LL messing with more scripting.

While interceptions of ones actual inventory is not allowed. There are still suggestions. You can take them and mod them further from the stated.  You can still use the "black box", create a script that links from it to the actual vendors. Additionally, if you get the ANS version it reports what it is doing through linked messages. You can then modify these calls into the linked script. Which then in turn works with your vendors.

This appears to assume Magic Box which will soon be discontinued.  The big benefit would be to have inworld vendors able to utilise a (non existant) Direct Delivery API.  There's no much benefit in linking MP to inworld vendors for the purpose of delivery since the Magic Box already does this and will soon be obsolete :) 

ANS doesn't really help here at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.