Tips and Tricks for rezzing fast ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good question! I don't know about the minimum bandwidth (mine is by default at 10 000 I think) but the things I did, except disabling those textures;

Keep inventory under 10k, disable online/offline friends notifications and keep my draw distance at 256 or 128m, depending of how laggy the place is and where am I. 

Their requirements state * Second Life is not compatible with dial-up internet, satellite internet, and some wireless internet services. but no specified bandwidth minimum ., 

Keeping draw distances down low helps

If you have a slower internet connection like basic DSL then disabling the HTTP fetch would be optimal for you. but http is faster than UDP. . I would imagine it would also boil down to optimizing your video card and PC.. All parts play a roll in fast rezzing. If your PC is not up to the challenge then it wont matter what settings you use in game...

Well I have a 4mbps broadband connection

My Laptop meets the requirement to run second Life
Here are the specs

2nd Gen Intel Core i5 @  3.1 GHZ (TURBO BOOST)

1GB Dedicated Nvidia Gt 525m Graphics with latest driver version i.e 301.42

So what do you suggest ?

What Bandwidth should I keep as far as the performance of rezzing is concerned ?

You might try following this tutorial and setting up second life in your nvidia settings panel and a few adjustments in advanced graphics in the viewer preferences

http://shoppingcartdisco.com/digitallife/tutorials/tutorial-letting-your-graphics-card-do-the-heavy-lifting/

P.S. it is very common for users to use wireless routers/connections with notebooks/laptops. If you want fast speed then always be hard wired into the connection

@ reply all

Like so many others I have an alt. Right after I made her I saw someone say that having a small inventory made a difference if how well SL worked. This avie has around 35K inventory and I see no difference, aside the initial download time, of how the two of them access SL. My alt now has around 17K inventory and does not appear to be slowing down due to it getting bigger. But like everything else in SL, and RL for that matter, you could see something very different than me. There are just to many variables to take into consideration. Just my 2 $L worth.

And just a note, my daughter uses wireless internet and I use wired off the same router. Its wireless N and she gets a faster connection than I do. My 100 mbps wired connection never comes close to her connection speed of over 130 mbps almost all the time. Now all I have to go by is what the systems report and what hardware we have so I don't know if this is all on the up and up, but that is what is reported by our PC's. I don't know if an in home wireless network qualifies as wireless service, but it is wireless, and fast. She has an avatar but thinks SL is boring and has not been on for years but has no problems with her other online games.

You have to deal with server load too. My connection clocks in SpeedTest.net at 31mb/sec. Using more than about 1mb/sec for max bandwidth seems to degrade performance.

Set your cache to a large size. That will help reduce the amount you must download.

I think the Phoenix data is out of date. If one wants to check their actual connection speed to SL they need to login and open Help -> About... and get the server name or IP Address. Then run your test to that server. It can change depending on where you are. 

When I do that the servers always show up as being in San Francisco. 

My old 32-bit machine barely had enough for SL and my web browser and the OS.  I went on a lag hunting expidition once, found that I was doing a lot of read/write to hard disk, slowing things down.  Voice accounted for a lot of that, just being enabled.  Turning off voice cut down the traffic to the disk, speeded things up.  But a bigger effect for me, on that machine, was reducing my cache to 256 M from the default 512.  That turned off the read/write to the disc, made a nice improvement in frame rate.  For me, on that machince.  As they say your milage may vary.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.