Do I have to keep the orange Object boxes once I have opened them and have the item in a folder ?

roxyangel007

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

If the contents of the box is No Copy, then definitely delete the empty box.

If the contents are Transfer/Copy, I will also usually delete the box.  However, some people keep the box (and its contents) as a handy backup in case the inventory servers lose the unboxed copies.

Seldom used items can be stored in boxes of your own to save on inventory clutter.  Rez a cube, and drag things you wish to store into its Contents folder.  When you have the items safely inside the cube, give it a distinctive name (NOT "Object"!) and Take it back into your inventory.

If you own land, some people keep these "storage containers" rezzed on their parcel, rather than in their inventory.  This gives a different sort of backup, since rezzed items won't be affected if an inventory glitch strikes.

EDIT:  An empty product box will not generally be named "Object".  It will have the name of the product, like "MystiTool v1.6 (boxed)".  Those orange cubes in your inventory that say "object" are most likely things that YOU have created.  You may want to rez them before deleting them, just to see what the heck they are.

• Like 2

You can delete the empty boxes without consequences.......just like throwing about the box in RL after you take whatever was packed in it out.  Some boxed items leave a copy in the box (you an save those if you like........I generally do, my selft).  Rename them if they don't already have a unique name so that you have a clue to what's inside..........I also put those boxes in another folder I make in my inventory (I named mine "Unpacked boxes"). 

If you have a bunch (like it sounds you do) then it can be a little tedious going through each to see if you want to save them but sooner or later you'll really need to set aside the time to do that.  A practice I started after spending an hour or so going through boxes with the name "Object" and others with some name of something I had purchased at one time or another, I delete them as I unpack them or move them to my "Unpacked boxes" folder as I open and copy to inventory.  Everyone's inventory gets to be a mess over time......house cleaning is necessary on occassions.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.