i cant get phoenix viewer to run and i cant get back on phoenix to change the box that i ticked

caz Contepomi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hi can any one plz help me i cant get phoenix viewer to load i went in to prefences i ticked a box in hardware options called enable opengl vertex buffer obejects and now i cant get phoenix viewer to load so i can change what i did iv un in stalled it an re installed it an it still wont open an load for me it just keeps sayin shuttin down plz plz can some one help me fix this its the phoenix viewer that im havin problems with

THANK YOU ALL FOR TRYIN TO HELP ME I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING YOU ALL SUERGESTED TO NO AVIL PHOENIX 1.6.1.1691 STILL WONT RUN FOR ME ALL IT DOES WHEN I CLICK ON IT TO USE IT DOES THE NORMAL THING THEN JUST SHUTS DOWN I DOESENT EVEN ALLOW ME TO GET IN SL IT JUST CLOSE'S STRAIGHT AWAY I DONT NO WHAT ELSE TO DO IV DELETED FILES IV UN INSTALLED IT SO MANY TIMES IV RE INSTALLED IT AND NOTHING WILL OPEN IT AND ALL I DID WAS CHANGE A SETTING IN  prefences i ticked a box in hardware options called enable opengl vertex buffer obejects and now i cant get phoenix viewer to open or run so im having to use phoenix firestorm that im finding very hard to understand as well as use im on windows 7 so trying to find files is driving me nutts ]ID LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP U GAVE ME I NOW HAVE PHOENIX 1.6.1.1691 WORKING AGAIN MY SON FOUND THE FILE I COULDENT FIND AND HE DELETED IT FOR ME SO YAYYYY IM BACK ON PHOENIX AT LAST THANK U EVERY ONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP IM SO GREATFUL TO U ALL 

5 answers to this question

If it is just a setting problem, a clean install is overkill.

Your settings are in a file: C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\[viewer_name*]\user_settings\[settings_file_name]

Some viewers use the Second Life folder regardless of viewer name. Those that do usually name their settings file uniquely. The default name is settings.xml. For Phoenix I think it is phoneix_settings.xml.

XML files are text files. You could edit the file to change the setting. That can be a bit of pain but its not rocket science.

The easy fix is to rename or delete the settings file. The viewer will create it with all the default settings.

I agree with Nalates.  When you do a reinstall, all you are doing is replacing the veiwer's files in your Programs directory.  The roaming files are untouched by design.  That's so that you don' have to re-renter all of your Preferences settings each time you update the viewer.  In your case, though, that's exactly what you want to do, because your user settings file is apparently borked.  To find it, you will need to show hidden folders. Now you need to locate the settings folder:

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Application Data\SecondLife
  • Windows Vista: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife
  • Windows 7: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife
  • Mac: /Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/SecondLife
  • linux: ~/.secondlife

and delete it.  The next time you run Phoenix, the viewer will automatically reconstruct it with default settings.

Start Phoenix and click "Edit->Preferences, or type a Ctrl-P. You can go to Graphics->Hardware Options and uncheck "Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects". Older Video card driver with older OpenGL installations will crash frequently or fail to run when that is checked. You could also try to update your video drivers and try it again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.