packet loss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The past few day I am experiencing high packet loss, which has never been a problem for me before. The fps is still okay but packet loss goes up to 50% temporarily. I don't think the problem is on my end, everything else is running fine and I haven't changed anything. I reduced the bandwidth setting but it's no fun to be on SL anymore... Anybody else who experienced this the past few days? I would not even know where to report this, I just have a basic account and can't find performance issues as support object, nor does jira seem to be the right place... Just wait and see if it will go better again?

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
      deleted first lines for security but were alll showing 0%
|         ae-2-2.ebr3.Atlanta2.Level3.net -    0 |  101 |  101 |  132 |  136 |  166 |  140 |
|          ae-7-7.ebr3.Dallas1.Level3.net -    0 |  101 |  101 |  151 |  155 |  173 |  152 |
|        ae-83-83.csw3.Dallas1.Level3.net -    0 |  101 |  101 |  148 |  155 |  180 |  165 |
|        ae-81-81.ebr1.Dallas1.Level3.net -    0 |  101 |  101 |  148 |  153 |  180 |  154 |
|         ae-1-8.bar1.Phoenix1.Level3.net -    0 |  101 |  101 |  175 |  181 |  234 |  176 |
|         ae-5-5.car1.Phoenix1.Level3.net -    0 |  101 |  101 |  174 |  186 |  315 |  186 |
|    LINDEN-RESE.car1.Phoenix1.Level3.net -    0 |  101 |  101 |  180 |  188 |  260 |  183 |
|           sw-core0-84.phx.lindenlab.com -    8 |   78 |   72 |  259 |  264 |  291 |  260 |
|              sim9942.agni.lindenlab.com -   10 |   74 |   67 |  264 |  270 |  290 |  270 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Tricky one. Based on your trace I can see two possibilities, and none are anything you can do much about.

#1: Traceroute isn't entirely useful these days, because packets may not take the same route TO the target that they'll take BACK to you. If that is the case, the problem may well lie in the return route somewhere. A trace from LL would show that though.

#2: Routing issue on LLs side. Personally I don't see anything wrong on my end, but I haven't looked at it in a regular fashion. For giggles I routed through the Atlanta Level3 router (which for me causes a split route setup) and didn't see anything odd.

Best you can try is contact LL, give them YOUR IP as well and see if they're willing to look into it. Their normal support people probably don't have the skill or even permissions to diagnose it though.

Look through Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection

It explains how to tell if it is you, your ISP, SL, or the region. If a region is lagging you can get false Packet Loss and Ping values from the Viewer Statistics.

With the collection of data you'll know whether to report to SL or your ISP. If you find it is the ISP, get a friend to collect the same information, presumably they are not having a problem, and include it with your information to show the contrast.

You problem with an ISP is getting to teir two support. If you can get the info to second level and there is an ISP or backbone problem they will recognize it and you'll have a chance to get it fixed.

Thank you so much Jenni and Natales for looking at it and trying to help. Guess what - this morning I logged on and no packet loss at all, after almost a week with ongoing issues... Perhaps it had to do with all the rolling restarts over the week? Anyways, I hope whatever it was is fixed now and won't come back! Ty again for your help :heart:

edited to add: it seems to vary with every login... just now it was back, and after a relog all was fine again. What changes with a relog that could make such a difference? Any ideas? I did not reset my router or reboot..just a relog.

I normally use WiFi to connect to my router, and usually it works just fine.  But, at odd times, and for reasons I have never been able to understand, my packet loss goes through the roof, and SL gets very laggy.  When my router is havine a "packet loss spell", I get out my trusty ethernet cable, plug in with that, and the packet loss goes away.

SL seems particularly sensative to this connection issue.  I have a different router, completely unusable for SL because of high packet loss, but it works (nearly) flawlessly for browsing most websites with.

• 8 months later...

I have also been experiencing packet loss recently and I live in the Dallas, Texas area. I have done tracert's in my command prompt window which usually show 0.0% percent packet loss however today I did one to yahoo and it showed a 25% packet loss C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping www.yahoo.com

Pinging ds-any-fp3-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com [98.139.183.24] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=365ms TTL=49
Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=618ms TTL=49
Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=792ms TTL=49
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 98.139.183.24:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 365ms, Maximum = 792ms, Average = 591ms
 However today I did the same test through my command prompt window and it shows 0.0% to any place I have pinged yet when I login to the SL viewer I am still showing packet loss in the viewer with the basic default settings. Thats not changing the cache, bandwith, or anything from default the viewer comes with downloaded.

I removed every viewer from my system and ran scans, registry cleaners, malware scans, defragged, rebooted the modem, (again). the viewer continues to show packet loss even though my download speeds are in excess of 20 Mbps and my upload generally better than 2.0 Mbps.  I am running windows 8 pro and I did not have this issue until recently I think maybe in the last 2 weeks. It causes me to crash on teleports, it messes up SL voice (skype voice is ok usually), it causes problems with dressing the avatar, and you can forget sailing, flying or anything where you need a smooth steady stream of data flowing.

doesnt seem to matter WHICH sim in SL I am on - unless I am just lucky enough to choose all the same channels of servers but I kind of doubt that. Teleports are frequently causing complete disconnects and logouts -

I have done complete and total uninstalls of all viewers. Deleted all the folders in the appdata that had a viewer name on it, cleared the trash, ran Advanced System Care Pro to clean the system and still this continues. I too have filed tech reports / request with SL, and my ISP TIme Warner cable / RR 

Time Warner is sending out a technician today, to check on a few things 1. if the modem needs to be replaced 2. if the outside wire has a problem and 3. they said its a possiblity the internet service in my area has not been properly distributed and that could be causing packet loss - so someone today is supposed to show up some time before 9 pm CST. MAYBE they can find a solution. Regards.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.