I havent been able to stay logged into to sl for over 2 weeks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL keeps kicking me off every time I log in. Its been like this for over 2 weeks and I'm not sure what is wrong. My firewall has never had a problem with the game before so I dont think that is the case. Is anyone else having this problem and has anyone been able to fix it? Thanks in advanced, I dont want to have to scrap this account cuz I'm a premium member and I have spent a TON of lidens on getting this account exactly how I want it.

I've been struggeling to keep a connection since I joined SL a few weeks ago - 

What I found helped was:

Use Firestorm, this has options to not only use http requests to get data (all the viewers have that) , it also has the option to restrict the number of requests sent at the same time - it may be the issue is its flooding the net with lots of requests then some are getting lost and thats  breaking something. 

Also make sure the band width setting is set to low - apparently the SL servers send as much data as you say your network can handle and don't check if thats not true....if you say you've got a fat pipe, but only got a thin one then its going to get blocked up.

NB, I used a speed checking service and apparently my connection is way below what Virgin Media claim it is.

I'm not sure about the wifi/hard wired argument - this is 2012 and most things are wireless these days, so SL should be able to cope.

Plan B.....Get a copy of OpenSim, install that on your pc and create your own little universe.  T'is what I'm doing for the moment and there are avatars you can upload so you don't have to be Ruth, or the male version Ruthbert :-)

Check your connection quality with pingtest.net.  If you can get in-world long enough check your ping and packet-loss figures from the statistics window.

Don't use a wireless connection - it isn't a matter of "SL being able to cope" or not, but your own network card.  SL is VERY demanding of graphics and broadband performance.

Is it a while since you updated your graphics drivers?  Check you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card.

You will never have to scrap your account; it's yours forever, even if you have to take a break from Second Life for any reason. Most technical problems can be overcome.

Hi Rosa,

For a technical question like this, knowing your computer specifications (login screen > Preferences > Help > About Second Life) could help and your method of connecting to SL.

Do you get any message when you crash? Does it crash to desktop suddenly or leave you partially connected but unable to do anything then ask do you want to quit or read chat?

Have you tried simply disconnecting your router/modem for a few minutes then reconnecting? What router are you using?

HTTP textures is known to cause issues so try disabling it in the Develop Menu (CTRL+ALT+Q) and see if it makes a difference. My router disconnects me after a few minutes when it comes to loading new textures with HTTP Textures enabled (which it is by default)  so I have it disabled and I'm fine.

Nyll is right. When you ask for technical help include information about your system and viewer. All we can give you is generic answers.

Most connection problems are because of poor internet connections. Read through Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. Just getting good results on SpeedTest.net is not enough. You need to examine parts of your connection and viewer performance to see where the problem is.

The basic quickfixes are to restart the computer and your router and/or modem.

When it is not your connection there are some other things that can keep you from logging in. When servers crash or viewers fail you can leave a ghost copy of yourself in-world. That creates login problems. While once a frequent problem it has mostly been eliminated. But, in rare cases it still happens. For the fixes see: I Can’t Login. Notice that links to an earlier article with more information.

Good luck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.