help with tier questions?

Cullen Swords

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My question is this. I bought a few parcels and my wife bought a parcel. Now she ended up accidently selling the land to herself for 1L and a bot bought it and we suffered the loss and got the land back they put it back up really cheap. However my wife was not on and i Bought the land then put it up for sale for 0L to her only. she bought the land back from me when she got on. Now I know we are both gonna get charged tier cause i owned more land even if it was just for 5 minutes. My question is when i go to my account that land sqm still shows up will that go away after my first billing or did I end up transferring the land without transferring the cost of the tier by selling for 1 linden? Ty for any answers.

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Cullen

I hope I've understood right.

You stated you know already that you will be charged a whole month of extra tier, if purchasing the land for your wife took you over the particular tier level you were at, BUT although on your account page it will say something like "paid tier level" (maximum land holding), you will only actually pay for future charging periods for the maximum amount of tier you actually owned during that period.

To explain slightly better, I currently only own 512m, but my "paid tier level" (maximum land holding) is set at 2048. Although it says in both columns that my monthly cost is USD15.00, because I currently own the minimum amount of 512m, I pay no tier fees at all. 

land use fees.jpg

Allowed holdings: 33,280.00

square meters Current holdings: 0.00

square meters Available for purchase: 29,043.00

square meters Peak square meter usage: 20,621.00

square meters Total monthly cost: USD 125.00

Next bill date: Sunday, 05-06-2012

that is what mine says i thought it would go down the square meters as i currently only own. 4096 which should be 25$ tier i thought the land would go down but i would still get charged the 125 for first month i just want to make sure i only get charged 25 for the following months. Oh i should say my current 4096 is also deeded to my group. but i plan on making full tier payments. hopefully i have done that part right.

Full information about land, tiering up and down, land use fees, can be found on the official Knowledge Base.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Buying-land/ta-p/700043

and more about Group Land fees here...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Group-owned-land/ta-p/700079

It's rather confusing, verbose, so I would advise also what Peggy advises, if you're still unsure, call the billing department (freephone numbers in Peggy's link).

My understanding is that your tier level does not automatically decrease when your landholdings do, and you have to reduce it manually.

For future reference, you could have avoided the extra tier payment by making a group and buying the land for the group without donating tier because groups can be short tier for a while without anything happening.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

My understanding is that your tier level does not automatically decrease when your landholdings do, and you have to reduce it manually.

As you said, your tier level doesn't automatically reduce when you downsize but you are not charged on tier level. You are charged on peak land holding during the billing period. You can set your tier level as high as you like and you won't be charged for it. So reducing land does automatically reduce the charge.

Phil Deakins wrote:

As you said, your tier level doesn't automatically reduce when you downsize 
but you are not charged on tier level
. You are charged on peak land holding during the billing period. You can set your tier level as high as you like and you won't be charged for it. So reducing land does automatically reduce the charge.

Thanks.  I incorrectly thought that the tier level determined the charge.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.