Dora Gustafson

Crashing crash logger

This one is new:smileyvery-happy:
Crashing is not new but it is the first time I had a crashing crash logger

Second Life 3.0.3 (240895) Sep 15 2011 11:47:07 (Second Life Release)
CPU:         Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.32 MHz)
Memory: 8174 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460/PCI/SSE2

Helper
Knowl Paine

Re: Crashing crash logger

[ Edited ]

Reply to Dora Gustafson - view message

This question/problem is starting to get popular.

Hopefully one of the Jira Residents will take a look to see if this documented.  

I would use an alternate Viewer until the matter is resolved. I will look at past questions to see if a better solution has been provided.

Edit: some answers point towards a Router problem and other answers say it is pc formatting issue or a incomplete download of a Viewer. Try to reset/reboot the router or try a clean uninstall re-install of a Viewer.

Nyll Bergbahn

If win_crash_logger.exe has stopped working is the message you get, it is rare and I can only suggest you complete a full uninstall including the hidden folders in AppData. Did you by any chance use the automatic update?

Caine: I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.
Dora Gustafson

Reply to Nyll Bergbahn - view message

I can confirm it is the win_crash_logger.exe that crashed
I don't use automatic update

I don't intend to do anything like clean install etc.
If the sh.. stops working so be it

Thank you for your help, I am grateful, but mad at LL and the 'new features' rate they use

Nyll Bergbahn

You're welcome :smileyhappy: I've no idea why this message appears, perhaps the file gets corrupted somehow. It resides in the x86 Second Life folder.

Caine: I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.
Honored Resident
Thedesigner1

Hi,

I had that same problem with the new updated version 3.0.3.240895.

I updated from 3.0.0 (238864).

The new version 3.0.3.240895 would not grant me access into the sl world,

it would crash upon trying to enter. giving me a "Win_crash_logger.exe has stopped working" message.

What I had to do was delete the updated version  3.0.3.240895. Clear everything out from cache and reinstall the older version  3.0.0 (238864) Also setup Auto Upgrade to Manuel.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clearing_the_cache

Dora Gustafson

Reply to Thedesigner1 - view message

How I just love it:smileymad:

You say I can't use the newest viewer(it is not your fault)

I already use one of the newest Nvidia cards but I have to use an old driver(several generations) just because of the LL viewer
See jira CTS-657 from 23/Jun/2011. The so called fix is to use this far from new driver:smileysad.

How much longer will it be fun to use work arounds and odd fixes to avoid crashing?

Honored Resident
Elithera Blackheart

I was having the same problem yesterday. All of a sudden I couldn't log into SL. I uninstalled, did a clean reinstall, kept crashing SL and the crash logger. Finally I wired up my laptop, entered SL in "basic mode," and was able to get into SL. I switched to advance, logged out, and logged back in. Once my inventory loaded I logged off again, removed the wire from the modem, and re-logged and was able to get back in. Of course, I haven't tried getting into SL today yet....

Honored Resident
Steel Howlett

[ Edited ]

I am getting the crashing crash logger too. I rarely get a clean "LOG OUT" from SL, even when i do a normal log out i get a crash before the log out completes. That seems routine but the crashing crash logger is new inconvenience and i thought i had always selected no to crash logging, but now i cant find the option to change it to no. If i thought crash logging would help improve things i would let it go. But i doubt anyone is looking at that data. ( i do notice you have the same card i have nvidia gtx 460....hmmmm

Honored Resident
reconkangas

Reply to Steel Howlett - view message

having the same problem here also, full uninstall and clean cashe is not working its still droping the win_crash_logger.exe i even unistalled ALL viewers and restarted and is still odoing it its on this last update when it started.

recon