Check If The Object Still Exists Inworld

joniveehernandez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, here's the scenario, I'm creating an object (1 object per user only). It means when that object is already rezzed and still existing inworld. The object owner will no longer able to rez another one even rezzing it in another region. He/She can only rez another object again if that existing object is no longer exists or deleted.

I was thinking of logging the object ID in a database then everytime I rez that same object I will try to retrieve that object ID based on owner ID and try to communicate to that object if there is a response then don't rez the object (if this is possible).

The otherway around is using XML-RPC (but I think its no longer advisable using it nowadays).

Is there a better suggestion you can share with? :) Thanks

You can't actually prevent anybody from rezzing anything.

You could ask the newly-rezzed object to delete itself, but obviously that only works with scripted objects on script-enabled land. So one way to defeat this would be to put the previously-rezzed instance on script-disabled land, rez the new one on script-enabled land, then wait a while for your script to decide the old one is gone so the new one can survive, then enable scripts again for the old one, thus having two or more working instances of the object at the same time.

The scripts can just keep checking to see if any other instances have checked recently, but the more often they do that, the more system-wide overhead (regardless of specific choice of comms and persistence) -- and, of course, unscripted objects can't be protected at all.

Depends on the object you want to protect.

- As mentioned, you need a script inside.
- Can be beaten easily in a non script environment - but - if the script is essential for the functionality a no script zone makes no sense.
- Same for copybot - it will copy without scripts - so a protection against that, if you have that in mind is a complex script that is essential for the function of the object.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.