I found some one selling a well known product for about 1000 L$ on market place

Splatulated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This whole copybot thing is so confusing. A parcel where I live had a person running around a couple of buildings and repeatedly clicking on them from every side. I watched them do this and IM'ed the owner of the parcel about it, this just seemed so strange to me. The person doing this was no newbi, they had over seven years in SL, so it just did not sit right.

The owner of the parcel logged in and ask me to explain what I had seen, by this time the person doing it had taken off. After telling her what happened she said it was up to me on what to do. She said no matter what anything she, or I did would be unpopular. Her stand on it as the parcel owner was to notify the creators of the buildings involved and let them know of a possible copybot of their work. She said filing the AR would be pointless and just add to the pile already on LL desk.

So what should a person do if they suspect someone of copybot inform the creators of the work, file an AR, or just turn a blind eye to it? 

sisshe wrote:

So what should a person do if they suspect someone of copybot inform the creators of the work, file an AR, or just turn a blind eye to it? 

It depends entirely on the situation. If you see something has, clearly, been copybotted, then inform the original creator. Your involvement pretty much ends there, as LL can't do anythign even if you could "report" it to them.

If you suspect someone on another person's land is copybotting things, inform the land owner. Again, your involvement pretty much ends there. There is nothing you could even possibly report to LL.

If you see someone clicking things, and you don't understand why, don't automatically assume they are copying. That leads to paranoia, and, in more cases than not, false reporting(whether to owner of the property, the creator, attempts to report to LL, or even posts on the forums). There can be other reasons why one would click on things, especially if they seem to be doing it on everything. I keep it so folks can't see what I'm clicking on, because of this specific reaction people have when they see it. I click on things when I need to get them to rez in or make textures load properly(which could easily include having to click on multiple parts or sides). I also click on things to figure out who the creator is, or even who the owner is. Those who are copybotting, don't need to click on multiple sides of an object to copy it, if it is a linked object. At least, not in 99% of the cases. That's not how copybot works.  And that, right there, is what leads to some of the hype and paranoia that surrounds copybot. Not to dismiss how serious it is, and can be, of course, but not understanding how it works can easily lead to these kinds of reactions and assumptions that perfectly innocent actions(and people) are actually heinous thievery(and thieves). Gotta let go of the "suspect everyone" mindset, at some point :)

And yes, I have dealt with copybot and copybotters, so I do completely understand the seriousness of the issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.