it seems to me I've tried everything to change my avatar from a particle cloud - sigh: no luck!

Flash Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Cloud-itis appeared at login - weeks ago. I've re-baked, I've taken off the avi's clothing and re-worn, I've empties the cache, I've throttled back on graphics settings, I've patiently waited for inventory to reload (about 5000 items in inventory).

AND - my alt avatar works fine.

AND - oddly, the android app that allows SL seems to render up the avatar just fine.

help!!!!

6 answers to this question

Rebaking hasn't worked for over a year, so that one's no surprise.  There are several common cures for bake fail on the Firestorm suport wiki that you might try inaddition to the couple you mentioned >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

In general, though, persistent bake fail is usually a sign that you have a flaky Internet connection.  It may be cured by simply rebooting your router and modem periodically, or possibly by changing your DNS settings to get an alternate routing.  Many people find that Google's public DNS works well.  The fact that your alt doesn't have trouble suggests that the cure should be fairly simple -- possibly one of those two steps.  Usually, when one account has less trouble with bake fail, it's the alt.  Chances are good that your alt has a smaller inventory and carries less baggage in SL.  You might try the same with your main av.

• Like 3

Ohjiro Watanabe suggest it may be a corrupt cache. While that is possible it isn't likely with recent viewers. They have changed over to HTTP/TCP with error correction. So, bad downloads are rare. Making clearing the cache an absolute last resort.

Now-a-days bake fail is usually caused by only a few things.

• Region server problems
  • Internet Connection problems
  • Current Outfit Folder (COF) problems

You can test the first by teleporting to different regions. Deserted and empty regions like Pooley and Furball are good choices. If your avatar renders there, it is the server you left. If not, it is likely your connection.

But, test the third possibility while in an empty region. Replace your appearance with one of the default Library appearances or use a Test Avatar. Library avatars can be found in your inventory. Be sure you select replace current outfit. The test avatars are in the Viewer's top menu: Develop (Ctrl-Alt-Q to reveal/hide)->Avatar->Character Tests->Test Male/Test Female. If the COF is the problem replacing your ENTIRE outfit should fix it.

If not it is almost certainly a connection problem. Having a good Internet connection does not mean you have a good connection to Second Life. Test that using this information: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection.

Also, you need to be using a recent version of the viewer. Within the last couple of week (end June 2014) new code has been added sever and viewer side to help avoid avatar render problems.

Prior to mid-July this problem was a probable cause of bake fail: Double clicking on anything in COF removes it from your avatar - including skin, shape, hairbase and eyes - results in bakefailed avatar.

Now having a wireless connection between you and your ISP (not the computer to gateway/modem/router) can be a major source of bake fail problems.

• Like 1

hi

if your Alt ok

try reloading your shape if you using linux and hair base if you using window.

that is what normally fail.

clearing the caches file can also help you, press control and P

that open the preferance window, click on the tabs on the left and look for the clear caches button 

click that to clear caches

hope that help

byee

Depending on which viewer you are using try turning your avatar into a noob again by choosing another avatar in its place  .. this should get rid of the cloud and work then you can change back to how you was b4 by going beck into your inventory and re adding your skin / shape / ect .. Good luck other wise the good thing is .. Clouds dont need clothes so it will save you Lindens :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.