Oculus Rift

RaspberryB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone, I've been trying to use my Oculus Rift together with SL. I have downloaded SecondLife Project Oculus Rift 

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Oculus-Rift-DK2-Project-Viewer-Now-Available/ba-p/2843450

but once i choose Toggle HMD Mode in Me-meny i get the message: "Cannot enter HMD mode because there is no HMD hardware detected. Check your HMD's monitor cable and USB connections to make sure they are all secure."

My Oculus Rift works fine so no idea how to fix it. :(....

My system details:

Windows 10 Pro

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50GHz

RAM 16 GB

64 bit

5 answers to this question

Wht graphics card do you have ? It's not going to work with the build in intel chipset. You need a strong dedicated graphics card like the nvidia gforce 970 or better 980.

Besides in my eyes secondlife is never going to work good, high fidelity and sansar are as example optimized for hmd use.

The current Rift viewers for SL are way out of date. The viewer on the RC Viewers download page is nearing 2 years old without an update. It is based on SDK#1 tech. If your Rift is a retail version, that could be why this old viewer cannot detect it.

The Lab is currently updating the viewer to the latest Rift development information. They keep saying they'll release a new version 'real soon'. I've been hearing that for a year. But, that is the most information we have now.

You could attend the Tuesday user group meeting. Oz Linden, the guy in charge of SL, is usually there. You can ask him about the Rift viewer.

You can check out the CtrlAltStudio Viewer. It too is out of date and that developer is working on other things. 

Ask in the Firestorm Viewer Support Group in world about Rift. If you are new to SL, remember, the group has users and trained support people. So, ask if any of the FS Devs are online. Users give strange and often uninformed opinions. If none are online, see if anyone will give you contact information.

The build is so old that it does not recognise a Nvidia GTX 980. I don't know why they bothered putting on the front page that it supports Oculous Rift VR when the build can't even handle the latest graphics cards. Don't hold your breath on it getting fixed quickly, they shoulda build in support for Vive, since occulus can run many HTC Vive games.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.