my avatar looks around to much

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read somewhere there was a debug setting to stop my avatar from following the house with her eyes. Someone told me its in firestorm, but I can access the debug settings in the Linden viewer too--which is my first choice as I use that viewer all the time. Does anyone know how to make her keep her head still?

For the LL viewer (this works on the others too), see the tweaking section of http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Show_Look_At

The "freelook" hint is the one that makes your avatar's head follow the mouse around, and disabling that may be all you need.  Alternatively, you can give only "idle" a nonzero priority, if you want to cease all head movement, but that extreme can result in a kind of zombie looking avatar.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Alternatively, you can give only "idle" a nonzero priority, if you want to cease all head movement, but that extreme can result in a kind of zombie looking avatar.

Yeah, that!  I wonder why some want to freeze the avatar head movement totally, not following the mouse.  It feels rather strange chatting with an avatar which just stares in the distance all the time, not ever looking at your own avatar.

It will look more natural if the avatars chatting would look at each other's faces ever so often (not constantly in a frozen stare though).  That's what we do in RL, why not also in SL.  I wonder...

shrug-1.gif

Like in this scene: if every avatar was constantly staring straight ahead at the distance with head movement locked it would not look so nice as if was the case when the avatars heads followed the mouse and thus were able to turn their head towards any avatar in the group.  That would add life and reality to the scene.

Avatars are not meant to be frozen statues.  :smileytongue:

A lot of those animations probably have the head angle built in.

I agree that SOME head movement is nice. I wouldn't recommend freezing it entirely, but at the default settings with no control, the head jerks and moves pretty constantly. I found it very irritating back when I was having this issue. My avatar looked possessed, and/or like she was about to give herself whiplash from moving her head back and forth so fast. Not a good look.

But yes, freezing all head movement so that the head only faces forward no matter what would look pretty awkward.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.