I can't run SL in my new laptop with a graphic card AMD Radeon 7670M with 2Gb dedicated

alex0025

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just received my new laptop Toshiba Satellite L850-1rz (http://www.toshiba.es/laptops/satellite/l850/satellite-l850-1rz/) with Windows 8 and I can't run the viewer , it says that my drivers aren't well installed or not updated (I tried to update them from the amd page but it says that it can't :S)... Anyone is running SL with this graphic card?? It should be capable to run it??

It's not because the card can't run SL, it's because you are using Windows 8 and need an updated driver to use with SL. Performance wise, it should be in the same ball park as Nvidia's GT 635M.

AMD supply generic drivers for a very limited number of laptops, Toshiba is not one of them. Follow the Toshiba link on this AMD page to see if Toshiba have a later graphics driver for your particular laptop.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

Also, make sure you are not trying to run in power saving mode. You want the graphics card in Performance Mode. The settings are in the video control panel. They can be set per game. That will save you running in Performance mode all the time.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Also, make sure you are not trying to run in power saving mode. You want the graphics card in Performance Mode. The settings are in the video control panel.
They can be set per game. That will save you running in Performance mode all the time.

I'm not having problems running SL with my new computer, but I also have windows 8 and Radeon card, was wondering how you set the card up per game. Thanks, Nalates.

First of all, thanks for the replies :)

I tried to update the toshiba's drivers, I tried the omega ones and I tried to switch off all the battery-saving-eco stuff... Nothing worked :P So my last chance it's change the laptop now that I'm still on time.

For my price range I'm almost decided for this one http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B009X57POM/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1D5X473XE8ZPNN89E1Z3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=312235527&pf_rd_i=602357031, I think it would be suitable for SL (wouldn't it??), but I'm a bit scared about the windows 8 drivers issue... It's so common this problem or I just had bad luck?? (I'm looking this like a lottery just now :S)

alex0025 wrote:

First of all, thanks for the replies
:)

I tried to update the toshiba's drivers, I tried the omega ones and I tried to switch off all the battery-saving-eco stuff... Nothing worked
:P
So my last chance it's change the laptop now that I'm still on time.

For my price range I'm almost decided for this one
I think it would be suitable for SL (wouldn't it??), but I'm a bit scared about the windows 8 drivers issue... It's so common this problem or I just had bad luck?? (I'm looking this like a lottery just now
:S
)

That's a pity. Anyway, the laptop you now suggest should run SL at medium to high. The Nvidia 635M is just above entry level though so if you can find a laptop in your price range with a Nvidia 650M, even better.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

i wonder if this one wouldn't be better for you..

Drake, that's a refurbished second hand laptop from a US dealer and alex appears to be in Spain going by his Amazon link.

And? It's from a very reputable company that will ship world wide..

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

And? It's from a very reputable company that will ship world wide..

I'm sure it is but there are other considerations.

As it's a Dell laptop it probably has worldwide auto-sensing switching 110-240 power supply and switching 60/50 Hz, so could be used safely in Europe with only a plug adapter necessary.

There could be region DVD encoding issues which have to be sorted.

I didn't check cost of shipping to Europe, maybe you did but I suspect it's fairly expensive. In addition, the buyer will have to pay import duties just to bring the laptop into the EU, adding around 27% to the purchase cost. It's highly improbable a large item such as a laptop will escape through customs duty and tax free.

Also, looks like return shipping is not included unless the extra $164.99 plan is taken out. Shipping a laptop back to the US at own cost would be expensive in the event of problems arising, which is more likely with a refurbished laptop than a new one and this refurbished laptop has a limited warranty. If I bought that laptop and had to return it for any reason, it would cost me €63 standard parcel post uninsured. To use a courier, it would be €175.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.