SL vs 'unRealLife' thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Starting quoting Ishtara's message

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

I find SL too real, actually. Not that it feels real (you will never feel the wind in your hair or the sun on your skin), but it's too closely oriented on reality.

There should be places and sights that can't be found anywhere in the real world, places where physics and gravity work in completely different ways. For example, imagine yourself walking through an MC Escher painting such as this one:

escher.jpg

I thought about building something like this back in the day, but walking upside down on a staircase at the ceiling would require you to attach your avatar to the stairs (i.e. sit on them) and wait for an animation to play. As soon as you stood up, you'd just fall down again.

The same goes for things like walking through a door that leads to a completely different area, hundreds of meters away (and upside down or sideways). Of course this could all be done with a scripted teleport system, but it just wouldn't feel very realistic. Or unrealistic, as it is
:)

Why can't we turn off gravity in our sims and have people float around in a zero-g environment? Or change how gravity works in order to create a true upside down experience? Or mess with the terrain physics and let visitors bounce around like rubber balls? Simulated down-to-earth reality gets really boring after a while.

I was thinking on how to make a tesseract house, or an Escher's place, like figured by Ishtara.

It is not so difficult, although complicated, if just one person is in the place. But it is not not possible for 2 or more independent people visiting it.

In the case of a tesseract.

Here is an unfolded tesseract. The colored faces (red, green and blue) are the same face, or, the green face on cube A is shared with the green face on cube B.

tesseract.jpg

But the green face on cube A is a wall, in the point of view of person 1 standing in it.

The same green face, for the person 2 standing on cube B, is the roof.

If person 1 moves from cube A to B, she will be turned 90 degrees, in the view of person 2.

For only one person. When they moves from one cube to another, a combination of teleport and rearrange of the cubes (moving and rotating them) could do the trick. But if there are one more person in the build, the whole thing would brake.

An Escher Staircase is simple - a series of squares 6 to a side, all touching each other.  Have all the squares rotated 25 degrees in the direction of travel, and you have a flat grid of prims that is always ascending or always descending depending on your direction of travel.  To add even more realism, have the walking animation so the avatar is rotated backwards 25 degrees as well and you appear to walk up, up, up...

The mobius strip can be accomplished with a sculpt.

The mobius stripper isn't really all that interesting, as no matter how much clothing she removes there's always more cloth to take off.

Perrie Juran wrote:

mobius_strip.jpg

Would it be possible to make a mobius strip in SL?

And please, no punning. 
:D

torus, twist 90/-90, hole size y: 0.05

although if you want interesting, try size <0.01, 1.0, 1.0>, hole size 0.5/0.25 and twist 270/-270 or 360/-360

you can also bend torii into single prim rifle slugs, and single prim mushrooms by twisting them in the same direction and cutting them.

There is one already, or at least there used to be.  Seifert Surface made it, I think, and the sim was called Futurology or something like that.

The way it worked was cool.  You had the unfolded tesseract like you show.  You were inside that cube.  if you went thru a door, the next cube was already there waiting for you.  

From the outside, you could watch the sub-cubes re-configure as the person inside went from room to room.  From the inside, if you kept your camer inside with you, you just saw that there was always a next room, no matter what door you went through.  However, depending on the order of passage through the rooms, you could end up walking on a wall or the ceiling.

TY.  I am going to have to play with this the next time I am In World.

But now I am also thinking if I made one large enough to walk on would there be a way to defeat SL gravity so that someone could walk upside down on it.  Or would that require a pose ball/script?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.