Unrigged mesh size limit at 0.1m just like prims?

Jade Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm pretty new to mesh in SL but just created my first simple mesh item here. It's one of those septum piercings that look like a mustache. (I'm using maya 2013 for reference)

When I upload it, the proportions of it are way off because it won't let me scale any dimension of it to be less than 0.1m in size. 

This is what's happening. The left is the one that's at the right size (other than the Z depth) for the piercing. The one on the right behind it is at the proper proportions, but far too large for the face. 

Snapshot_001.png

Is there any way to bypass the 0.1 size limit for a mesh object? I know there are ways to make microprims but is there any such thing as micromesh? People make mesh piercings all the time, so I know it's possible for them to be tiny, but I'm not sure how. When I first upload it it's super tiny, but the depth is still too big and it has the proportions of a tape worm ;o 

I've tried adding a cube behind it and combining the mesh and exporting it that way but when I go to upload it to SL it says "Error: element is invalid." 

Is there any way to make mesh smaller than 0.1m in one dimension? Is it something I have to do in Maya, the upload settings, or in object settings or what? Or is there another setting I have to mess with in order to properly upload two objects as one (like with the cube behind it)? I'm really lost at how to get this to be the right size so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Make owersized cube around your mesh (not to big,about 2 or 3 times bigger than your model),set it to new material and than delete all but 2 faces (sparing poligons) to get virtual bounding box,when imported in SL make that faces 100% transparent and you have nano mesh...

• Like 1

Another problem I was having is when I combine two meshes together, it doesn't want to import to SL. When I go to upload it, it gives me an error (in the mesh upload options box, not when it actually goes to upload). I made sure to freeze transformations and delete history before I exported. =/ But I don't remember if I forgot to set a new material to the second object. Could that be it?

Mmm, there is a video on You Tube, unfortunately for me, it's in French; it seems to show doing this with one vertice, but, I neither understand Blender or the French  language well enough to be sure.

Would love more detailed info on how to make nano mesh for jewelry...I tried attaching a large object to the chain links I was making and setting the material of the large object to transparent, guess we know, that didn't work so well, grins.

It did allow me to get the links down below the min limit, but, the larger object was still visible...darn

It worked!!!!

I carefully watched the video and tried to understand him (he has a lovely accent).

It took a few tries and some errors, but, I was able to upload a mesh that could be sized a lot less than 0.010.

The little red torus on top of the 0.010 prim is what I imported and it will go even smaller, yep that's an SL great toe and we know how small most feet are here.

nano mesh_001.jpg

The video again is at 

The video is pretty clear, just takes careful watching of what he does to puzzle it out even if you don't understand the language

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.