TOS rules + local chat extenders

ZiaRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2976 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What are the TOS rules for local chat extenders in a club? What are the conditions that must be met in order to use a local chat extender for a public club?

Ok to be more clear, for the sole purpose to be able to greet visitors without shouting,  say in a 40-60m  radius. 

3 answers to this question

//UPDATED: I'll attempt to be more clear.

It would still be up to you to determine if repeating chat is equivilent to "monitoring". I would again repeat that a user's consent is likely to be required if this meets the Disclosure wording, but I'm not sure in which way this consent would need to be given. There are typically two modes of consent collection used in online spaces:-

• Active Consent: The user must click or otherwise explicitly 'Agree' to consent to the method of data collection after being informed of its scope and the purpose behind the collection. This is the recommended method for most types of data collection.
  • Passive Consent: The user accepts that by entering a space and receiving notification (e.g. by a sign), that the data collection will take place. This approach may be acceptable in situations where the data collected would be 'normal' or 'typical' for the types of services being provided.

The short answer: It's probably your call as to which consent method you use, as long as you're not instructed otherwise. I'm just a resident like you, and have no authority with which to claim I know more than the official policies.

---

Rhonda is right, the ToS does not have the scope to cover local chat. The elements that used to have since been moved to the Privacy Policy.

What you may be referring to is Second Life's Community Standards, which state the following:-

Community Standards - Disclosure:

Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

I'm not in a position to provide you with "conditions" - I'm not familiar with the device you mention and you are responsible to keep your own account in good standing. My reading is that, if your device "monitors conversations" and displays their content "remotely", then a user's consent would be required.

Unless the chat messages are being recorded or sent out of SL, it's unlikely to cause much of a problem.  Yes, it's a mildly gray area, but not one to spend much time worrying about.  If you want to cover yourself, though, you might either post a sign or simply say something cheerful in chat every once in a while like, "We use a chat repeater to welcome new arrivals wherever you are in our club. Welcome to XYZ Club!."

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2976 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.