Question on laptops and viewers

WolfeRiegn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Greetings and Salutations. I am sure this question has been asked more times then not, and after goggling and searching I am still scratching my head at a view things...

First I want to say that I have tried just about all viewers out there, firestorm the only one that brings everything to just barely a cruel standstill. I thought the problem was in my internet package, so I increased it to where I am getting up 36.97mbps and 4.2mbps down {according to the test which I used a node cross country to me} and still pretty much the same thing. I went looking on how to activate the multi threading as I do have a dual core {more on this soon}, but could not find the option in the newer official SL viewers.

Now I am not asking for the utter and complete ~WOW~ experience, but it would be nice to have something that makes the viewers a lot more bearable when I move through different Sims {would love to spend more time in one particular Dragon Avi Sim}.

I have broken it down to one of a few things, and before i go dishing out more money {or limiting myself to only one Simi} thought i would ask for some help....

So far the specs i have are:

My Video driver: Mobile Intel four express chipset family, The processor is: Intel core Duo CPU P8600 2.4Ghz, with 4 gig ram on a dell inspiron 1545.I know someone i was speaking to in passing said it had to do with memory, so do i need to increase my ram, or am i pretty much out of luck and need to look into getting a older second hand desktop with a AMD processor in it?

5 answers to this question

The problem is the Intel 4000 HD graphics chip.  It's not up to the challenge of handling SL graphics at more than Medium quailty.  A laptop for SL should be a "gaming" laptop with a dedicated graphics card.  Integrated graphics chips are at their best when they are paired with a dedicated card that can take on the job of rendering the heavy stream of data that comes from SL's servers.  They have a reputation for failing to switch automatically, but most SL residents have found that they can be switched manually.

Increasing bandwidth won't really help much unless you have a system capable of handling that flood of data.  BTW, the Inspiron 1545 is listed in on-line reviews as "A great budget laptop, with a relatively high-resolution screen. It's an ideal alternative to a netbook if you want something larger."  Not exactly a ringing recommendation for SL.

Edited for typos. :smileysad:

• Like 2

Older second hand desktop yes, AMD CPU maybe, AMD video chip NO FOR GOD SAKES NO.

Second Life performance is 90% video card. Integrated laptop video just isn't designed to render dragons flying around. You'll want some variety of dedicated GPU and Second Life uses OpenGL as the graphics language. ATI/AMD video cards tend to have a lot of problems with OpenGL so you'll want to get a Nvidia card.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree that it's your graphics card. It almost always is :D.

Assuming you aren't going to buy a new computer, you might try Singularity or another of the 1.23 based second party viewers. They are much less stressful on your system and "possibly" your graphics card. I have a really old (six or seven years) mobility notebook that can still run Singularity. It isn't pretty but it works. So you MIGHT get the ability to run at a better graphics setting. Not sure on that.

If you want pretty you have to cough up those bucks and get a better system. More bang for your buck on a desktop directly connected to your modem.  Just sayin' :D

Good luck and I am in awe of your connection speed. Not available where I live.

• Like 1

The issue you describe is Windows-specific, and nVidia isn't that much better on Windows. For all other supported platforms, though, AMD is the better option. If you want to avoid painting yourself into a WinCorner, ATI/AMD is the way to go for your GPU.

You're best sticking exclusively to Alienware (if you like fugly cases and bad battery life), Dell Precision (better battery life for the same hardware Alienware has in a substantially less flashy package or, for best reliability and support, Lenovo ThinkPad W series (built to last and doesn't paint you into a WinCorner).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.