grapics settings help

JeremyDS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

so i just built my first pc and need some advice on graphics settings. i am using firestorm viewer btw. when i was online before i chose ultra seting and i got a diagonal colored line in my viewer, i furgured thats not good so i turned off advanced lighting and it went away, with out that option on ultra i was getting 40-50 fps, is that good? any advice on how to set up my setting would help, i also have other setings in the video cards software ( visual super)( gpu scalling) and a bunch of other gaming amd setings for gaming, im not sure what to set those, but im more concerend with the firestorm settings.

system info

cpu: amd  fx 8320 8 core 3.5ghz

gpu: powercolor pcs+ radeon r9 380 4gb gddr5

ram: 16gb

os: windows 10 pro, has direct x 12 if that makes any difference lol

all drivers are fully updated too

recomended settings for best performace would be much apprciated

The networkbandwidth slider affects only the udp protocol. Since almost all data gets tranfered via http, the setting is pretty obsolete. Only movement, chat (both types) is using udp. The FPS isn't really connected to the bandwidth either. I had my pc on a 50mbit/s and use at my home a 5mbit/s connction, the fps didn't change. Only the loading is faster. SL uses OpenGL, Directx is not used fir the 3D. There is not THE one recommend setting. It all depends on the amount that has to be drawn. Use higher settings at less busy places and lower them as you experience more lag. The eye gets fooled above 15 fps for seeing movement (some might get headache tho and prefer higher rates).

)I would set the graphics level to High and just accept the defaults for that level. You can change the draw distance using quick preferences. If you are inside in a club or shop or your own house there is no point in having the draw distance set much above 64 M. If you want to go outside and admire the landscape you can whack it up to say 500 which will hit the fps but you can adjust as needed.

I agree with sven about the bandwidth. I set mine at 800 and that's fine but if you want to check it open up the statistics bar

(Shift + Ctrl + 1) and look at the second graph down UDP Data Received. Mine runs along under 100 kb/s most of the time with occasional peaks up to 1000,so 800 bandwidth is plenty (the fact that it can jump up to 1000 suggests that the bandwidth setting is soft anyway.

I usually turn off object Occlusion to fix the bug with flickering sea (in the Menu: Developer > Rendering > Object-Object Occlusion)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.