The new newcomer avtar

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just tried the Daisy avatar and it's a huge improvement on any previous starter av I've seen. Quite a nice skin with good facial detail and no exaggerated shading. It has nipples but a Barbie-doll crotch, which I suppose is a reasonable compromise. The shape is roughly 5' 10" (178cm) tall, but still a little disproportionate. Arms are too short, legs a little too long and over all, a bit skinny. The entire avater is almost 8.5 heads tall, which is a little exaggerated but not as extreme as many out there. Very nice rigged mesh hair that I'd be happy to wear on my main av.

Clothes are cowboy boots, shorts and a plaid shirt, all in rigged mesh. The shorts and shirt are one piece with a single alpha.

With the red hair, freckled skin, features and tall, leggy shape, this looks like a clear attampt at an Amy Pond/Karen Gillan avatar. The outfit is a combination of clothes she wore in episodes of DW*: I'm not sure if she ever wore the boots, shorts & plaid shirt all at the same time, but I've seen them all at different times. 

*apparently we're blocked from naming the show here. It has a blue police box and sounds like Doctor Woo!

eta: just had a quick look at another avatar, this one called Amy. This one is a little shorter, but still has the same slightly T-rexy arms. This one, at least, has separate sweater & skirt components although the sweater alpha extends further down than the mesh.

All-in-all these look very good. Despite the niggles on the proportions (and the shapes are mod, so it's fixable) they are so much better than any other starter av. The blow the mesh-bodied avs out of the water and should be much easier for newbies to transition to dressing their own avatars.

ChinRey wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

...but still has the same slightly T-rexy arms.

I think that's on purpose actually. They've been optimized for PaleoQuest.

It just seems a pity no-one on the avatar team seems to notice this. Tweak the shape just a little (+20 on arms, -10 on legs, maybe +10 head size) and it falls much closer to natural proportions. All the mesh still fits perfectly.

They use the default SL avatar base. I think the point is that LL have moved away from the awkward and hard-to-customise full-mesh avs that were the recent option. The new ones are what most people are wearing: a default av with mesh clothes. They're new in that they're a new set of avatars from LL, not a new technology.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Oh okay, well yes this shows someone at LL figured out something about how SL actually works, which is always good.

It is indeed. I think it's also worth noticing that they use the word "performant" and "efficient" to describe the new avis. That is really good news. Add some fo the otehr recent changes to the picture and it looks as if LL finally has started to take the performance issues seriously.

Kelli May wrote:

It just seems a pity no-one on the avatar team seems to notice this. Tweak the shape just a little (+20 on arms, -10 on legs, maybe +10 head size) and it falls much closer to natural proportions. All the mesh still fits perfectly.

Maybe but we don't want the newcomer avatars to look too good, do we? We want them to spend a shipload of Lindens on upgrades after all. ;)

I think a lot of existing residents won't realise they exist, and most newcomers won't realise the avs are anything new.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

This is very worrying.   Here we have quite a significant announcement from LL and no one has yet declared it marks "the end of SL as we know it™" or called for the CEO's resignation.

Well, I'll do it just to get it out of the way. *clears throat* The sky is falling! The sky is faaaaalling!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.