Linus Torvalds on GPU manufacturers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a little ignorant on the subject, so forgive me if I sound stupid. Why should Nvidia waste it time on an Operating System that most users around the world barely even use?  If people want ot keep use linux, then that's fine I guess, but most of us Nvidia fans don't even use Linux; so I don't even know how it's going to hurt most of us Nvidia fans at all.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Locke Nider wrote:

Why should Nvidia waste it time on an Operating System that most users around the world barely even use?  

Because it is about choice. 

And when you limit your choices, your choices become limited.

Locke Nider wrote:

I'm a little ignorant on the subject, so forgive me if I sound stupid. Why should Nvidia waste it time on an Operating System that most users around the world barely even use? 

You're making a false assumption.  Dell and HP tvs, TiVo, all Android devices, Netgear and Linksys routers, and plenty of embedded multimedia devices run Linux.  The only reason it hasn't seen much desktop penetration is because few companies preinstall it.

The userbase is there, and they need to support it for devices using their chips outside of the desktop environment anyway.

Eh, I love using Linux Mint, and I love Nvidia graphic cards....but until the gaming scene becomes popular on linux, I don't think I really care that much about the whole thing at the moment.

I'll just keep using Windows for games, and Linux for everything else.  Besides, I'm sure the millions of talented Linux developers will continue to create driver for non supported hardware even when the technology advances.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.