A big problem.

Vypre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I am very new and cannot be bothered to search the forums, so yeah anyway.
I have just installed "Second Life" and seem to be having a bit of a problem with everything.

1. I have no clothing and cannot buy any because I have no money, also I can't choose a premade avatar, just don't display.

2. Loads of characters are invisible in some areas.

3. My destinations are not loading.

4. Is this a play to do anything game?

This is all entirely normal for Second Life.

After about twenty minutes a few more things rez, and if you stay in one place for an hour you can usually see your feet.

Then after another hour, a Fairy Godmother appears and gives you a bag of gold and some vouchers for diamante loincloths.

But only after you have completed the "Search Forums" task.

Not exactly normal to me. I think its probably something to do with the viewer you are using. Some viewers are better at viewing mesh that others, and when you have all these invisible avatar body parts they are likely mesh. I would recommend loading the latest version of firestorm. You can find it in the alternate second life viewer directory. I use it and have no problems.

Also there are a lot of new mesh avatars. I would recommend, especially with you being new, to go with one of the standard non mesh avatars. At least you will be able to see it and until you get used to mesh it would be easier to work with.

As for clothing you can find all sorts of things in your library. A good idea is to simly go in your outfits and select a  character and you will find some clothing etc already there. You can find things in inventory/library or just outfits.

Also SL has many freebies shops where you can get clothes and so forth for nothing if you dont have linden.

Hope that helps, or just IM me in world and I will try to help you get situation. SL has a learning curve, but fortunately most people here will help you get started.

Your avatar should have been clothed when you rezzed inworld.   If you need another avatar or outfit, there are several from which to choose in your Library (scroll down in your inventory to the bottom or search 'avatar' or 'clothing').

Also, make sure you check the system requirements for the viewer.  You can find that on your dashboard under help.

Vypre wrote:

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I am very new and cannot be bothered to search the forums, so yeah anyway.

I have just installed "Second Life" and seem to be having a bit of a problem with everything.

1. I have no clothing and cannot buy any because I have no money, also I can't choose a premade avatar, just don't display.

2. Loads of characters are invisible in some areas.

3. My destinations are not loading.

4. Is this a play to do anything game?

1) The avatar selection menu sometimes get blocked by anti-virus programs/firewalls/etc. Second Life uses a helper program called "slplugin.exe." Make sure that isn't being blocked. Regardless of that, you can select from a number of different avatars without using it. Go to your inventory "suitcase" button and scroll all the way down to the bottom to the folder called "Library." Open the "Clothing" subfolder, click on an outfit folder and drag it onto your avatar.

2) It looks like you have an AMD video card - this is a known problem with certain AMD drivers. It won't display "mesh" clothing which is currently quite popular. The quick solution is to go to "Preferences" - "Graphics", hit the "Advanced" button and turn off the "Hardware Skinning" option. A better solution is to use the current AMD 15.4 beta driver.

3) Destinations menu will have the same issue as the avatar menu with certain anti-virus/firewall setups - it's not actually necessary to use though.

4) No, but it takes a fair amount of commitment and exploration to get good things for free.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.