color matching prim feet

leyna1488303852

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Am I the only one that struggles with prim feet colors?  The thing is I don't have too much of a problem getting them the right color until..... I move or TP somewhere.  Sometimes I'll get them just right, then head out to go dancing and suddenly there are two marshmallow colored feet attached to my ankles.

Or even worse, I'll just move my camera angle - they're perfect from one side and from the other side they're horrible, or great by daylight and completely off at midnight.

I got a pair of strappy sandals from N-Core that I love and have had better luck with them, I'm not sure why that is.  Also does everyone else see different colors of feet depending on their windlight settings? 

Uh yes. It is almost impossible to get a 100% right match in all angles and windlight settings. One of the reason I really wish LL would give us better avatar mesh, so we didn't have to use prim feet. To make it worse, I buy new skins often, and editing is a pain.

I can make a close enough match , and I set the same windlight setting for when I'm inworld, it is mostly Nam's skin and prim windlight setting, or Ana Lutetia #7. If you use viewer 2, you can make a windlight setting that's good for you by following this tutorial: http://juicybomb.com/2010/04/22/gogos-updated-windlight-tutorial/

Of course, others can see my foot color a bit off, but I can't really worry about how others see me, then I would not dare to leave my home.  It's so many viewers, graphic cards and windlight settings, I don't care what they see as long as I am satisfied.

The new skins thing - exactly!  I usually forget that I've got a different skin on then the last time I wore a pair of sandals and having to edit the color every time I put them on is, well, time consuming to say the least.  My go to solution for that has usually been boots. But it's summer dress time and I've been determined to conquer this prim foot thing. 

I'm on Firestorm which has a ton of windlight settings and have been using the two you mentioned off and on. I'll be sure to use them when I'm working on color matching.

Your attitude of not worrying about how others see you as long as you're satisfied is right on. I mean what else matters, right?  

Prims colors ALWAYS change in different lighting. I usually find a color that matches my skin on my screen, with my settings, and just leave it at that. I've seen plenty of people whose prim feet (or other body parts) don't match their skin at all on my screen, but I'm sure it looks fabulous on theirs.

Baby Monkey (shoe store) has a guide of where to look, using "show color under cursor," to find your best skin match for feet. They also have a guide of values for popular skins. (I know N-core does this as well, when you buy a pair of their shoes, as I have their bare feet and love them! Got an almost-perfect match using their guide, since my skin is a popular one.) Using the Baby Monkey guide of where to look, I've gotten some very good skin matches for most of my shoes, as well.

Good job, Marianne.  For me, no, I can't stand the hud shoes.  I really can't; there are just too many other things for me to enjoy whether rl or sl.

I wish some designers would try to make the illusion of toenails by creating disappearing socks like the ones that disappear for our fingernails.  I would buy those type of shoes if someone COULD make them?  Disappearing sock feet toenail shoes. 

That looks geat Marianne.  I realize I don't even pay attention to others prim feet unless it's glaringly obvious that they're a different color, and even then it's not to be critical.  It's usually more a reminder to me of how frustrating it can be to get a good match, and I imagine that they look fine to the person wearing them. 

Ariel, I'm sure I've seen the guide for popular skins you're talking about, I just can't remember where. It must have come with my N-Core shoes. I'm not sure if my skin is a popular one, I guess I can check the guide and see!   

Mayalily, I have no idea what "Disappearing sock feet toenail shoes" might be, but this made me smile and if someone ever makes these, I'll give them a try just because I'm curious. ;) 

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Prims colors ALWAYS change in different lighting.

Unless you texture them to match your skin and not just tint them. Which is why people shouldn't buy any attachment without modify permission. +Mod feet allow you to take a screenshot of a small portion of your skin in a bright Windlight setting, upload it as a texture and apply it to your feet for a perfect match.

No it is not you...it is lighting.  And even if they looked perfect to you in every lighting they will not look the same to everyone else viewing.  I now use hud driven shoes only for photography and even then not that often.  The newness wore off and I just do not find them worth the time/effort.

((rofl)) I laugh so much from SL, I think I've lost several inches off my waistline.

See, I was wondering since the gloves we put on our hands for fingernails are like white gloves when they first rezz, and then the glove part disappears, and all that is left is the color of the fingernails.  So....I got to thinking why can't a creator make a disappearing sock like the ones we put on our fingernails, but when the sock disappears it would leave the illusion of toenails, and then we could just put on a shoe.  I have no name for this idea, all I could come up with "disappearing sock feet toenail shoes", though could definately use a better name, let alone do I even know if it could be done or if it would work?  For the toenail area, just draw little lines that look like our toes are separated, and then we could just change disappearing toenail socks to change the color of our toenails, kind of like what we have for fingernails where the glove part disappears. 

No I don't think texturing would help either. My biggest problem with prim feet is that the prim feet often look like a solid color, while the skin has highlights down the leg. So when the false feet meet the avatar leg, that highlight is cut off. I am not sure if I would be able to texture it so highlight meet highlight right. 

Some skin designers use a bit of skin pores and freckles and moles too. I often think that the best would be that foot designers did this for us, that we could choose different textures first, instead of just tinting. They should include foot textures from the "big" skins. I imagine Curio, Laq, LeLutka, Belleza.... Even if you had another skin, I assume that it is not so many ways you can apply highlights to a leg, and you could find a matching texture and then tint it.

Or the best part, that LL would give us Avatars 2! With better mesh so the feet and hands would finally look good. But SL started in 2003 and they haven't improved the avatars since then, so we better have to live with the crappyass avatars for years more.

You can buy sock layers for toe nail colors...they are often called pedicures

I think what drove the hud shoe craze is that the form of SL feet are just ugly!  So we are left with the choice of prim feet with a hud driven shoe, ugly feet showing in a non-hud driven shoe, or the option I have selected, which is give up on sandals execpt for photography and wear shoes that cover my very ugly SL toes and are not hud-driven

Well, what I don't understand is IF prim feet can be made in the first place, why don't skin designers included the proper shaded prim feet with the skin and shape packages?  That would have been a whole lot easier than hud shoes, which either look mostly orange or white because of the differing viewers.  Not to mention the amount of scripts needed just for shoes; that's just adding to lag among the other myriad of difficulties with hud shoes. 

I will check out new skins IF some creators start making them with correct color prim feet.  Would that be that hard?  I'm just asking because I have not designed anything, nothing. 

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.