How do I become a mentor for new users?

FrostFaeWyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Whe I first cam on SL I was completely lost until I founf a mentor who helped me learn. I'd like to pay this forward now and I am wondering how I can become a mentor for new SL users. Any help would be appreciated. 

Ty

-Wyn Frosty (frostfaewyn resident)

3 answers to this question

The Second Life Mentors group was disbanded many years ago, but there are still plenty of opportunities to help mentor newcomers.  Caledon Oxbridge University and NCI have extensive programs for SL newcomers and can always use help, for example.  Lindal Kidd, who spends some of her time here in Answers, has been involved with Caledon Oxbridge for a long time.  You'll find many other places like those once you start looking.  And, of course, this Answers site is a mentoring area of sorts.  The dozen or so of us who hang out here a lot have been motivated by the same "pay it forward" spirit that you're feeling.

• Like 2

Rolig is right!  Besides the organizations she mentions, there is also the White Tiger Mentors group, which maintains a help area on New Resident Island.

Or you don't even have to join a formal helper organization.  Just go hang out on Social Islands 1, 2, and 3 and greet newcomers as they arrive and offer assistance.

• Like 2

As odd as it seems, the official and organized mentors did not help player retention, at least that is what the Lab told us they saw in the stats. So, no official mentors. But, the person that helped me was not an official mentor. So, let your conscience guide you.

In a study by Teng & Adamic titled Longevity in Second Life found the key to player retention is personal interaction. So, I tend to try and answer their questions and lead them toward how to find people they enjoy interacting with.

There are places where new people congragate. The landing hubs are some of those places. The Adult Hub is another, but expect some unique questions of you choose that location.

You might make a sign that floats over your head or that you carry which enourages them to ask you questions and hang out in a landing hub. I used to go to varous freeby shops and make landmarks near the free hair offers and send or take new people there. Before the new mesh bodies everyone immediately wanted better hair and the 30-day-new-kid offers were popular. It has changed some with the new mesh starter bodies. But, you'll figure out what works best now.

Expect harassment. File AR's. But, you'll have to deal with it. Most harassors have mental and personality issues. I suggest you consider that and be as kind as you can and otherwise ignore them. Begin ignored is often something that either drives them nuts or they get bored and move on to another target. Be prepared for the former, study up on griefing and how to resist or deal with it.

I suggest you follow a couple of blogs to stay up on changes in SL. Inara Pey's, mine (link in sig), and Ciaran Laval's. For interesting places follow the Places & Events, Honour McMillian's, and Ziki's.

I think most important is finding places you enjoy and have fun interacting with other people. Over time you'll realize various types of people like various places. You'll get better at sending people to places they are likely to enjoy. If you are having fun, you'll likely be fun too and it tends to be contagious.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.