MAGE Magazine is a community of artists

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Soooo.... what it feels like to see only members of your group are ones to speak on your behalf?

Its weird how someone with... how many Avichoice award nominations you said you got this year? Well it is weird to see how someone with sooo many nominations and such a great feedback from the whole community is struggling here all day and none of the forum members who had the opportunity to read your posts all these months actually bothered to say a word or two today.... 

ahh well... I guess you get what you pay for ;) 

And, in case you wonder, I came to post on this topic because Miss spam did not dare to reply to the topic I started. 

0THELLA wrote:

Incase there is some confusion about the nature of MAGE Magazine, it is not a business.

For a non-business, you certainly do a lot of advertising for sales and marketing personnel.

When you're not hijacking threads to try to sell advertising space yourself, that is.

ETA: Almost forgot. Art. (Gotta keep it topical.)

I did read all of your posts here and so you can't say otherwise, quote your exact words in bold, other than the bolding in the quotes from the Community guidelines which are bolded by LL.

I have quoted the Community Guidelines "the rules" you have violated in blue and the relevant words in both your posts and the guidelines in red. I am not trying to bully you but am trying to familiarize you with the rules.

Your magazine is a product whether you want to call it something different or not.  It may be free and non profit and may be produced with the best of intentions, but it is still a product.  A product is anything produced by labor.  You admit that you are promoting and you do post links to other web sites where your magazine can be seen.  You wrote

"I take it upon myself to promote the magazine. So, unlike individuals who are promoting only their work, I am promoting the work of several people."

• Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.
Note: It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business.

You wrote this comment in one of your posts:

"I believe that this forum should be a place where people can talk about their work as artists, and using the names of your galleries, magazines and musical or artistic groups should not be prohibited because the moderators choose to misinterpret this as brand marketing."

What you believe the this forum should be is irrelevant.  It is what it is.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts about what the rules say.

Your comments about the moderators are also against the 'rules'

• Abuse of Moderation or Moderators: Please honor our moderation process and the decisions that come out of it; they are being made in order to provide you with a productive environment for conversations about Second Life. We prohibit abuse of our moderation process, including the following:
    • Posts that discuss or re-post material that has been removed or locked by a moderator
    • Posts questioning a moderator’s decision
    • Posts that discuss the status of any Resident account (e.g., on hold, suspended, etc.)
    • Frivolous or malicious use of the abuse report feature

Perhaps you should have read the Community Guidelines before complaining about your posts being removed and further breaking the rules.

You may rage against me just because I happen to have a helper tag, which I did not ask for or want, but was given to me by LL due to my participation in this forum and answers helping people.  My tag does or your name calling people that point out that you are spamming as 'haters' does not change the facts above. 

Tamara is right in her other post that this forum has turned into a forum for self promotion rather than discussion.

• Like 1

Sizzelle wrote:

Was Cica Ghost the artist who created that sim where we shot the LADY DOM scenes from Issue 3?

this is pretty funny

like i work or play or something promoting a magazine highlighting artist creatives but i dunno whatever was the name of the artist creative who's sim we shot a vid about me on

jejejeje (: 

Yesterday I asked if anyone knew where I could find out more about Second Life photography techniques?

I received two replies. One was from Tamara Artis who gave me a link to a google search for SL photography techniques which was sort of a lazy answer because any one can type into a search browser so, not to be ungrateful, but I was hoping that the more experienced members of this forum could recommend something that had been useful to them personally.

The other person who replied to my post was Othella who posted the following link

http://0zymandius.wix.com/magemagazine#!MAGE-Magazine-Tutorial-1-The-production-process-for-THE-SAGA-of-LADY-DOM-Part-VI/c112t/570ceacc0cf2e66d024bca57

This is a helpful tutorial that Othella wrote herself. So if I would have to say that Othella's response was the more helpful.

What disgusts me about this thread is that all the people who have been in Second Life for years, who have titles like "Helper" and "Advisor" , instead of responding to a post that was asking for your help and advice. Chose instead to harras the members of MAGE Magazine. I think it's those who criticized Othella of spamming that are the ones who are truly guilty of spam.

Thank you for your tutorial 0thella, I will be happy to join your group.

• Like 3

It's not "harassing" to submit counter points during a discussion. The OP asked the question why someone might object to their demonstrably unacceptable marketing methods. It's not unreasonable to answer the question that they themselves posed, even if they didn't like the answers they received. That's the flip-side of participating on a forum.

Here, see:-

:

I don't understand why anyone would object to this, however if you do have a problem with the content of my posts
please let me know

...And that's exactly what I did, in a respectful and measured way. I spent hours crafting those replies, taking care of my tone the entire way through. I even added that if the OP had an issue with my critiques, just to let me know and I'd remove them. A sensible discussion was all I anticipated. Instead, childishness ensued.

YMMV, though - do business with these folks at your own discretion. I fully imagine that it will be entertaining.

I complimented their response to your thread (here). That singular action was (reasonably) fair behaviour; the rest has not been. I'm sorry that you don't see this, but their sense of ethics has been laid pretty bare in this thread. There's lots of interesting insight into how these folks work, if you care to look.

I appreciate that some people have made useful contributions to this thread overnight. It's been good to read.

CameronCove wrote:

Yesterday I asked if anyone 
knew where I could find out more about Second Life photography techniques?

I posted only that link because I wasn' sure if its allowed to post links to websites of the people who publish tutorials, you see people who have the patience to teach do it for money so posting links to their websites here would be advertising them which is why I only posted a Google search with over 8 million results, sorry it wasn't enough for you lol... you can see we wrote about it in another thread, which I won't be lazy to quote here: 

Freya Mokusei wrote:

By contrast I like
thread. This is an example of the
organic content
that is interesting to other residents, promotes discussion and self-improvement.

Tamara Artis wrote:

I want to add, I find that other thread helpful too, and wasn't sure if it was okay to post links to websites of people that I know they posted many tutorials or are offering classes. And if a person in that other thread posted their work and asked for some links where he/she could see some tips for editing I wouldn't consider it an advertisement. Even if it was one, the way it is written doesn't allow it to be marked as an ad or violation of the guidelines here. 

Maybe, if you found the time or will to reply and search for more detailed information I would send you a PM with a link to my website where I keep detailed list of tutorials that I learned from or tell you that the first website from that Google search will give you 10 times more knowledge than any other particular one. 

But I am more willing to think ladies who occupied this section finally decided it is time to log few of their alts and start speaking on their behalf. 

I would advise you to ask a friend who has more posts to come here and say a word or two because a person with 2 posts screams ALT! 

CameronCove wrote:

Yesterday I asked if anyone 
knew where I could find out more about Second Life photography techniques?

I received two replies. One was from Tamara Artis who gave me a link to a google search for SL photography techniques which was sort of a l
azy answer because any one can type into a search browser 

Yes, Googling a general, broad question such as yours -- "more about Second Life photography" --  is the obvious first step.

From there you can narrow down your questions to specific ones, and if you cannot find the answers to any of those by Googling, THEN you ask in a forum.

Yet some people skip the Googling step. (Lazy is your word, not mine.)

CameronCove wrote:
What disgusts me about this thread is that all the people who have been in Second Life for years, who have titles like "Helper" and "Advisor" , instead of responding to a post that was asking for your help and advice. Chose instead to harras the members of MAGE Magazine. I think it's those who criticized Othella of spamming that are the ones who are truly guilty of spam.

Welcome to SL. Since you are new here I want to clarify the assumptions you've posted above.

I have never spammed this forum and neither have the other people with Helper tags.  I don't recall seeing anyone spam that has an "Advisor" tag either.  So please don't make accusations without being able to back it up.  It won't earn you any friends here and just contributes to the rancour.

As for tags, no one asked us if we wanted them and most of us don't care about them and would prefer that rank be abolished.  LL awards them.  You get these tags from LL for being helpful to people on here and for not breaking the rules.  The more helpful you are the higher you rise in the ranks.  They can be taken away too.

It is legal under the rules to put a small promotion and link to your business in your signature line however.  It is against the rules to spam here other than in the forums that specifically say it's ok, such as the land forums.

No one is harassing Othella.  People have legitimate complaints about her spam and she asked for people to let her know if they disagreed with her assumptions in her post trying to justify her spam and calling people who objected to it "haters".  Most people did.

• 2 weeks later...

everything i've seen from these mage magazine people, it's rather..how shall i put this? childish and ignoring of valid counter arguements, i'm not a pro photographer by any stretch, but seeing of your magazing what i have Othella, i can safely say, i find your business practices both annoying, and not very condusive to a good image of your self and your company. I'm sure that in time you'll wisen up and get more traction, but for now..i do pray for your business

0THELLA wrote:

Incase there is some confusion about the nature of MAGE Magazine, it is not a business. We distribute the magazine for free in the form of a 3D book / slideshow and the artists affiliated with MAGE Magazine are volunteers.

Occasionally we will place an advertisement or accept donations to help cover the cost of producing the magazine. It costs 10 lindens per texture upload and as each page of the magazine is a texture this adds up to between 300 to 500 L per month. It is not a large sum but most of this comes out of pocket as does the cost of furniture and props used to create our sets and the cost of purchasing costumes.

My reason for co founding and promoting MAGE Magazine is to create a community of artists who help each other to learn and inspire each other and help each other find opportunities in the virtual world of Second Life.

I don't understand why anyone would object to this, however if you do have a problem with the content of my posts please let me know.

Thank you

0THELLA - Editor for MAGE Magazine

Thank you for your magazine and your idea to include SL artists (some which are never heard from because only the same top elitist names do)

Anything that promotes art and artists, paid magazine or not, that is open to all is a benefit to SL.

We need more of this, not less, and I rarely hear anything about this kind of thing, so thank you for doing so.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.