learning to sail..

74Theo74

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know where you can get lessons in-world, try search for sailing lessons.  When I was learning to sail I jotted down the terminology  on the HUD and researched on the interwebs. I found studying at my own pace was well worth the effort.  Anyway, good luck.  (I will be paying attention to responses as well)

Hi Theo,

I did a simple search on 'sailing lessons' and found a few listed.

Starboards Yacht Club (bills itself as the 'original and largest Yacht Club in SL) offers free lessons and free boats

SSYC (group) offers free lessons to those who have Tako sailboats

SC Sea Angels (group) offers free lessons

Good luck!

There is a Sailing location in the region Hepurn. It's a Linden provided Mainland water course covering several regions.

I believe that you can find a free sailbot at the starting line of the course.

When I visited, the free boat included a notecard about Sailing the boat.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Sailing is real simple (in RL or SL).  Point the boat any way except directly into the wind; then pull in the sails till they draw.

As a qualified yacht skipper I must point out that that is not only a gross simplification but also remarkably efficient.  You have, however, forgotten to get coffee and/or beer, which is essential.

Hi Theo ^^

The SL Sailing Academy has closed down just recently but there are now several "Come Sail With Us" resource centers on mainland continents. These centers offer some free boats and self paced lessons.

Also most yacht clubs are offering sailing lessons. I don't have the schedule handy right now but can tell you that TrYC has lessons every Thursday at 2pm. Please contact Hannelore Ballinger or Charlz Price for personal face to face tutoring.

To learn more about sailing in SL in general please visit the portal http://slsailing.co/. It links you to various clubs, forum, events, calendar ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.