[Blender] Rigging mesh lost material information?

Ragash Luik

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello to all!

im trying to figure out this problem from a week now but without any good result. i crafted a good mesh of hair, applied to them both solid and alpha material, and already tried to import it to Sl to see the result which is, indeed, pretty good.
the problem comes once i try to rigg it, i tried to follow mostly of tutorial around and the operation goes succesfull at his end.
but once i import my result into Sl the mesh, which is indeed well rigged, lost all its information about material appearing total white :/

someone other encoutnered this sort of problem?

thanks in advance. 

i believe that material settings are not forwarded for rigged meshes. I remember there was a bug in this area. I am not sure if it was due to blender or the SL importer.

But you can import your images separately and drag/drop them to your object's texture faces after it has been rezzed on ground. Then take the object back to your inventory and you are done...

• Like 1

thanks again for the quick reply gaia and for the support :)
as i explained even in the mail i sent to you, if i try to import back my .dae file, rigged and material-assigned, into blender, it shows correctly and texturized.

i start to think is a sort of limitation, of a bug, of sl... 

I did some experiments and i found nothing wrong with your blend file. there is exactly one texture image that gets exported into a subfolder named "textures/hair.tga" and that is expected.

Now:

1. If you export your mesh without weights
    Then the SL Importer is able to also import the hair texture.
  2. If you export your mesh with weights
    Then the SL Importer refuses to recognize the hair texture.

I believe this is a bug in the SL Importer and i believe that in all cases the Blender exporter creates correct files. Maybe some developer can take a look into the SL Importer code and verify/fix that bug ?

And as long as this bug is not fixed, you always can import the textures separately from the mesh and add them to the mesh later in the SL editor.

• 5 months later...

I have this issue now also, and when i not rig the mesh and import to sl (beta grid) the texture looks perfect, also in Maya. So its not a Maya or Blender issue, but.... When i rig it, the rig is perfect, but when i apply a texture on the eyes, the turned out white and thats in SL, in Maya looks good on rigged mesh, but weird thing is, i made 3 UV map sets, 1 for the eyes, 1 for body and 1 for some details , but the body shows the texture and the rest turned out white in SL. So maybe its an issue when more uv maps are applied???? more materials is not an issue. because when i select the uv mapped faces, i can recolor them in SL. I read this topic and want to share this information. I hope this will be fixed soon:) edit: Ok i just tried it, and unrigged it, made 1 UV Map of all my parts, and rigged it again, also could save weigths and load it again after UV map it, Now when i apply the new uv map texture , they look good, so only 1 uv map is possible at the moment. But you can give faces diffrent materials, and apply the same uv map texture onto them:) Hope this helps:) Greets Lucindy

I ran into something similar this week. On a non rigged mesh. This object had 4 materials all assigned to bake onto one texture. When I uploaded it, it kept coming in as one material. Finally I set up each material to its own texture(in Blender), and it uploaded with 4 seperate materials.

I've never seen this behaviour before. I haven't had time to see if I goofed, or if there are some changes. Perhaps something related to the incoming normal mapping materials project(?). Or maybe I just goofed my exporter settings.

Alisha Matova wrote:

I ran into something similar this week. On a non rigged mesh. This object had 4 materials all assigned to bake onto one texture. When I uploaded it, it kept coming in as one material. Finally I set up each material to its own texture(in Blender), and it uploaded with 4 seperate materials.

Hmmm I dunno. Normally when I bake 4/multiple materials to one texture and save the texture. I normally delete all the materails used for the bake and load only 1 material with the baked texture the export and upload..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.