can i link my building and all items in one steptogether for move to new sim or do i have to resetup

DeadheadKev

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

It depends on how big your building is.  If it's too large to link, then the answer is no.  There's a limit to how far apart the pieces of a linkset can be.  If it's smaller, you may be able to.  Personally, I tend to move complex structures without linking them.  If you are very careful about it, you can take all pieces of your structure (and anything that is in it) as a single coalesced object.  That takes a bit of nerve the first dozen times you do it, but it saves you the trouble of linking and then unlinking things.

I suggest reading this Knowledge Base article very closely and then getting a bit of practice ( and camera work) before you try anything important. >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-move-a-build/ta-p/919109

Just to add a warning here, if you're thinking of linking parts of your house that were not linked in the first place, such as linking doors that the maker of the house didn't have linked originally, or liinking the furniture that you've added, DO NOT DO IT!

If the maker of your home didn't link the doors to the home, the door scripts probably will not work right if you link them.

If you link a furniture item to the home, it will most likely break the scripted functions of all the linked parts, and there's no easy way to unlink it again and keep the table, bed, couch or whatever as a movable item and keep the scripted functions working. SL does not support heirarchical linking. 

Seriously, just pick each item up individually and put them into inventory, and put them back down again at the new location. You'll be much happier with the results.

If the house is, for example, in three main pieces plus six doors, you can shift-click to select all the pieces at once, and take that into inventory as a single coallesced object. It will show in inventory with the name of the past piece that you added to the selection. Have the build tools selected when you re-rez it, and all the pieces can then be moved into their final position as a unit, without needing to weld them to each other by linking.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.