Paint Shop Pro Tutorials for making clothing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everyone,

I have PSPX2 and I would like to start creating some clothing for my SL avatars and friends. I have downloaded the templates necessary to use, but I am having a hard time finding good tutorials to show me how to make clothing. I have been experimenting and figuring some stuff out by trail and error, and have found very few tutorials on youtube for PSP clothing. Does anyone know where I can find some good Paint shop pro tutorials I can use? Any good eBooks I can download maybe to get started? Websites, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Caihlen

I am not sure how helpful this will be to you, but if you are pretty familiar with your graphics program, you should be able to watch and read the SL Clothing tutorials made for Photoshop and Gimp.  Of course, you will have to translate this information for usage with PSP.  While it might be an incredible pain, it is doable but does require some familiarity with your graphis software.

I know I have taken a few classes at Builder's Brewery geared to Gimp and have been able to translate the material AFTER the class and use the information/techniques. I inform the person teaching I may not be able to keep up during class due to translating the information, but  I make sure I copy the chat log and go back and read it later going through it slowly.   It works for me at least.

And, I think making clothes is a trial and error thing too.  I know I learn my experimenting.  I've tried a number of times in the past to learn to make clothing and failed to grasp the concept.  I started again, after learning more about Photoshop and Blender, and am having better success.

Hope this helps!  If not, maybe some other residents can offer better suggetions.  Keep at it and good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you Morgaine.. I will look into the Builder's Brewery classes here in second life and try your method of translating techniques, can't hurt right? At least it's a good place to start.

Thanks again! :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I made clothes on another platform with PSP while following Photoshop tutorials. It's definitely possible, you'll just have to think outside the box at times, and knowing the programm well makes the translation progress much faster.

If you don't know PSP too well yet I'd suggest doing tutorials for it, and once you have a grasp on the programm look into the clothing tutorials. Don't get ahead of yourself, take your time!

Look on the SL Wiki http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials there should be some for standard templates, also look for ones by Chip Midnight and Robin Wood.  Each has their own unique take and guides.  

Also if you will google SL Clothing Tutorials, SL Clothing Templates, etc. you will find tons and tons of stuff to keep you busy for a long time.

I remember seeing pay for classes at Soma. That was like...oh, a year or two ago. Not sure if they are still in world. Soma was the name then, not sure know. They have paid for classes, templates and such for mostly clothing. 

Some of the tools are the same, but work different. The techniques use many standard thing. I mean here are a few tools I remember from watching clothing tuts for gimp and PS.

Smudge.

Easy enough, I bet it has one! 

Burn and Dodge.

I mean, other tools maybe to. 

Advanced selection methods and prefferably Paths creation.

Paths or curve based selection tool. I think PS calls this a Pen tool. Maybe you are a God of the lasso! I have never seen anyone use the lasso select for smooth curves or well...anything much to do with design! It is far to wably to do by hand, sort of toon artists sort of thing, evne they would be using a pen and tablet set up rather than a mouse!

But, for helping understand what the Pen tool is...it does not ink things! It is for making paths, and the paths are then turned into selections (paths store though, in gimp they do. So, you can save the paths and reuse them!)  AND, if you can't save paths you might be able to make masks....which is another method most advanced editing software has! At the very basic level, selecting an area (and maybe then inverting the selection, this depends on what your color select or magic wand will pick up best and most completely) you then just flood fill the area you dont' want black. Then, each time you need it just magic wand or color select. Why do I mention both? You might get jaggy edges from one or the other method...so, it depends on what settings you had and how it flood filled and how it selected ect.

Layers.

This is a big part of what they use, it helps speed up things and reduces errors and reworking!

Warping, stretching sort of tools. 

This helps with stuff that doesn't turn out so well, photo sourced bits that need to be nudged or stretched to look right. Text might be helped along to look right with this as well. 

I mean, there are other tools I guess. But, this is sort of all in PSP, as far as I can understand. 

I don't do clothing, but looked into it and still do. I wanted to make racing vehicle suites,  which are obviously clothing. I know a bit about Gimp, but not sure..I used PSP back in the day a bit, but that was mostly playing around and no layers or realism and definitaly not clothes. I also saw a newer version, I know it has a few tools that are similar but they are called different things lol. I don't remember the names, but you will find the stuff in there I bet!

I do know a successful clothes maker makes her stuff with PSP, but I don't know her! I can't even remember her name! lol. Sorry about that. But, yeah, they where decent looking and on par with most of what I saw. I think a really great and famous cothes designer here uses something other than photoshop...but I can't remember what she used! Maybe it was part of the workflow. I think it was something so expensive that photoshop was lower cost! lol. It wasn't Paint Shop Pro though...uh, it might have been a painting program that simulated paint brushes and paper...not sure.

technically you could hand paint stuff then use scanner and the software to resize and line it all up lol. So, there is not reason you can't use some other stuff! Mainly, the issue is technique.

So, this sounds strange BUT...maybe techniques for painting clothes wrinkles and folds in other software will work to help? They helped me a bit, but exact settings are an issue and you end up just discovering something that works. If you do, WRITE IT DOWN lol. I didn't, but did get some stuff I painted in grey to make a look of a fold, bump and light wrinkles. I don't have the "how to" and sort of don't remember how to make matching ones...I was not done either! I might use these as layers and use the layers choices for how it displays (like multiply or merge ect.) to get it to look good enough and basically just resize and position these in over a blank grey matching background! This means I can make different textures from the set, more wrinkley or stretch them to make it closer. But, first I might redo them and I have to do extensive wrinkle making...have you seen how wrinkly racing suits are? Some are very very wrinkly and have a quilted sewing all over! Lots of stuff to work on. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.