Possible new scam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Something most peculiar happened yesterday.

I was thrown off SL and couldn't get back in: account suspended. I phoned Lindens and was told that some sort of glitch had occurred and that I should log back in, using the word 'Password' as the password.

I did this okay; then I logged out immediately and changed the password from 'Password'; to what it used to be.

This morning I got an e-mail saying that an attempt to buy Linden dollars for my account via the Lindex page of the SL website has failed.

I've immediately changed my password again. But the moral of the story seems obvious:

a) no-one knew my original password

b) there must be many people who know that the Linden advice when there's a glitch is to change one's password to 'Password'

c) one of them must have tried to buy Lindens using that as a password.

Therefore: if ever you are supplied with a password by Linden: use it, and then change it immediately!

AND LINDEN LABS: FOR PETE'S SAKE USE A FRESH TEMPORARY PASSWORD EACH TIME!!!

Christi Maeterlinck

Hmmm...

Well, contact Support by phone (Live chat doesn't operate at weekends) on one of the numbers listed here:

https://support.secondlife.com/contact-support/

and then do what I did...

INCLUDING CHANGING YOUR PASSWORD TO SOMETHING ONLY YOU KNOW, ASAP1

I've just finished speaking to Linden phone support again.

They say that the reason for my not being able to get online yesterday is that there's a scam, originating out of Italy, in which someone is using people's ISP address codes (you know, the 1.193. etc etc codes associated with one's internet account), probably by using a bot to generate them? I don't really understand...

... but that the Linden security system IS catching this, and logging people out until it's investigated.

That accounts for why I was logged out yesterday, and may or may not be the reason that you were.

But, as I say: contact Linden, get access back, and then CHNAGE YOUR PASSWORD TO SOMETHING ONLY YOU KNOW. And then change it regularly!

Christi

I was victimized on the other side of this scam. See all the juicy details at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/I-got-swindled-big-time-Linden-scam/td-p/1424763

The person who scammed me was using Italian PayPal addresses and goes by the names of Mario Morcellini and Marini Dino.http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/I-got-swindled-big-time-Linden-scam/td-p/1424763

Now, I rightfully feel stupid for allowing myself to be scammed like this. But how appalling is it to find out that LL set us up for this with this feckless, childish security practice? I'm flabbergasted. I don't even have words...

Christi Maeterlinck wrote:

Something most peculiar happened yesterday.

I was thrown off SL and couldn't get back in: account suspended. I phoned Lindens and was told that some sort of glitch had occurred and that I should log back in, using the word 'Password' as the password.

I did this okay; then I logged out immediately and changed the password from 'Password'; to what it used to be.

This morning I got an e-mail saying that an attempt to buy Linden dollars for my account via the Lindex page of the SL website has failed.

I've immediately changed my password again. But the moral of the story seems obvious:

a) no-one knew my original password

b) there must be many people who know that the Linden advice when there's a glitch is to change one's password to 'Password'

c) one of them must have tried to buy Lindens using that as a password.

Therefore: if ever you are supplied with a password by Linden: use it, and then change it immediately!

AND LINDEN LABS: FOR PETE'S SAKE USE A FRESH TEMPORARY PASSWORD EACH TIME!!!

Christi Maeterlinck

the attempt may have been on your old password and that would more than likely be why they suspended the account..

the person may have messed up in their attempt to get money..so it may have triggered LL to shut it down until the real account holder showed up..

it doesn't matter if you think someone did not have your old password..peoples accounts get compromised now and then..it can and does happen even without willingly giving it out the password..

there is more chance of someone getting your password than there is someone knowing the exact moment in time LL said to use the word password for a password to log in and then know to use it to try to steal money..

you may want to do a good anti viris scan and malware and spyware scan..and if something shows up..change your password again..

Maxy Zerbino wrote:

I was victimized on the other side of this scam. See all the juicy details at

The person who scammed me was using Italian PayPal addresses and goes by the names of Mario Morcellini and Marini Dino.

Now, I rightfully feel stupid for allowing myself to be scammed like this. But how appalling is it to find out that LL set us up for this with this feckless, childish security practice? I'm flabbergasted. I don't even have words...

i would love to know how you knowing something was a scam and still got scammed was LL setting you up for this?

you just got sold on something you knew was a scam and they still sold it to you..thats not LL's fault..

hehehehe

I've acknowledged from the start that I was stupid and I brought it upon myself. I probably shouldn't have been so quick to blame LL as well, without having all the facts confirmed. All in all from my perspective they handled it well. I got just what I deserved, I can only hope I get my accounts back soon and pray that Paypal will work with me I recover my money.

Maxy Zerbino wrote:

I've acknowledged from the start that I was stupid and I brought it upon myself. I probably shouldn't have been so quick to blame LL as well, without having all the facts confirmed. All in all from my perspective they handled it well. I got just what I deserved, I can only hope I get my accounts back soon and pray that Paypal will work with me I recover my money.

i would dump paypal and just use your bank or credit card..they will work with you..i don't trust ebay or paypal..

just last month my paypal account information in SL was messed with two times in less than two weeks..so i just dumped them and went with ym CC and my bank..they will make sure my money is watched..where paypal which is owned by ebay..bleh..too many horror stories to trust them..

my bank will shut things off or send me a warnning and cut LL off even if they think something is up lol

Yes, I take the point about Paypal not being perfect. Having said that, when someone took out 2 x £300 from my bank via Paypal (how??? Paypal never managed to explain) they were very prompt to help, identify the culprit, and repay my money.

One sort of answer is only ever to keep small amounts accessible via Paypal, making the funds available only when you're making/expecting a transaction.

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.