How important is true colour ? proper names vs fantasy

Sasy Scarborough

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Occasionally when I am in the process of putting together a look, I may want something a little extra. I search my inventory by colour, you know that little splash of a colour that may be included in a print or a piece of jewelry etc. Often I am surprised - but not really - by how many options come up for colours such as 'mint', and who decided that teal was a must have in everything - sorry but that has just baffled me lately. 

The question/point is - and yes I do have one - is how important is it to you that colours are named as close to reality as possible? and for those items that are named with names that would usually describe an entirely different colour or close to but not the same, how grumpy does it make you?

Example 1:  Red is Red, Blue is Blue etc.

Example 2: if something is called "Snow" you would assume it was white...but what if it was sludgey grey because it is urban snow according to the designer - ok this has not happened that I know of, just a made up example.

I know we are limited by characters for our naming of items, but as search only works if the colour is included in the name itself, this is definitely a must for layering. 

I look forward to hearing your responses :) 

xoxSasyxox

I can see your point, however I tend to rename folders of clothing so I can find them without having to recall the exact name. I add keywords such as : sheer,precise colours (brick red,fire engine red etc etc),leather, etc..it makes searching for items to gather a look, much simpler.

• Like 1

That is a great idea, I tend to not be that organised with mine ahead of schedule. I don't search by colour often enough to really need to do it that way, but I may just update when I come across ones that are not exactly true to their wording. Thank you for the tip :)

xoxSasyxox

Names of colours are only a guide. Ever looked at a Painting Colour Chart? They patent the names of colours so nobody else can use that name. Stoopid! That's why there's 5 million names for off white. The same colour will look very different using any other light source (computer monitors too) so personal preference is always the deciding factor. Just thought I'd chuck that in.

I did not know about the copywriting of colour names, that is evil, and I can imagine a lot of that happens with make up. As for colours varying due to lighting etc, I agree that is a huge factor, as I often buy items and see that they are named colours that they may be close to, but not the same as. I had an older pc way back in 06 and used to not see the patterns in white clothing if it had any at all, then one day I asked a friend why they went with straight white, and that is where we found out my contrast was out of whack. I make very sure that all that is correct with any pc I have had since.

thank you for your input :) 

xoxSasyxox

Ok I'm a bit guilty here...I like red to be red, and if it's true primary red I'll call it that. But I'm guilty of making "crimson" "crimson" too. And "purple" does not cover the entire range of purple possibilities, so sometimes I'll use "lilac" and sometimes "aubergine". Some blues are "ink", while others are "cornflower". Turquoise is not aqua, and I'd hope that most people have the basic colour-theory to understand the difference. I have orange shoes called "tangerine", because that's what they are. It's not that I try to be deceptive, rather more descriptive, as I like to make things that use more than basic primary colours of full saturation.

I really do agree though that they need to be accurate. Snow is white. If it's darker it's grey (or "smoke", or "charcoal", or "ash" even)  At least it's not yellow to most of us :)

Please put the real color somewhere in the item title, and put the other fancy name next to it if you want to do that also.

Especially on a no modify item.

It's annoying, frankly, when something has such a creative name it can't be found again. Well, now I try to sort it into a more specific folder right away. But, for a long time after I joined, I didn't know how to do that. So, a lot of things are floating around to this day in my inventory that I might like to use, except I have no idea what they are.

That goes for every creation by the way. I want to know if it is a blue lamp, or a blond hair, or a green skirt, along with whatever lovely name the creator is inspired to put on it.  

And thanks for asking us.

Sasy Scarborough wrote:

Example 2: if something is called "Snow" you would assume it was white...but what if it was sludgey grey because it is urban snow according to the designer - ok this has not happened that I know of, just a made up example.

xoxSasyxox

Snow ashy gray

Snow dirty white

Snow sooty black

Just some examples of how you can do both. Or all three.

(Item name, and color name, and color's shade or descriptive name.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.