Second life problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if it's the right topic to post it, but anyway.

Today I logged in and I had the surprise to see that I have only 133 L$, which is impossible actually.

I know that SL has a lot of problems so I went into the Marketplace and I looked at the Order History. It told me that yesterday I gifted a girl. NO ONE knows my password so it couldn't be somebody. I've writed to the owners of the shops and I've sended a message to that girl. I just finished submitting a ticket.

I'm very nervous and tired of this things, seriously. It happened in the past but not in this manner.

Have you ever had this kind of problems? Isn't it too strange, do you think it might be something like a hack?

It's one of the oddest issue I have ever heard about the Marketplace. You did right submitting a ticket. I would suggest that you also change your password IMMEDIATELY. Please post back here if you receive any explanation from LL, it will be useful for other residents. I wish you good luck.

You account may have been hacked. 

You have done the right thing.  You  now have to wait to see the results of LL's investigation.  If stolen money is still within the SL system LL can freeze it to prevent it from being used and perhaps you'll eventually get it back.  If any has been 'cashed out' it is out of LL"s hands and the RL authorities will have to get involved.  Under this circumstance you may not get your money back, just like you don't always get back money stolen from you in RL.  I am not sure what will happen to the money spent though, as obviously the merchant isn't at fault but also a victim. 

There is a phishing IM going round at the moment - you get a link to a marketplace item from a friend on your friends list, (unfortunately it means the friend has been hacked before you) and you click it, it asks u to sign in and hey presto they got ur password  and control of your cash  account etc...so think back to if you have done had this happen recently.

There is fake Marketplace website.
In serveral groups I've seen residents encouraging others to check out free items on Marketplace.

Once logged in your account is compromised and your lindens are stolen.
Because they say it's free stuff, I guess a lot of people get curious, their greed is taking over.

I also heared about bad scripted giftcards going round in SL, clearing out your balance once you open them.
But I'm not sure that's true.. you still have to grand acces to take lindens from your account if you use a scripted item I think. But anyways seems like some bad seeds are taking advantage of SL residents at the moment 

Aurelia Lionheart wrote:

I also heared about bad scripted giftcards going round in SL, clearing out your balance once you open them.But I'm not sure that's true.. you still have to grand acces to take lindens from your account if you use a scripted item I think. But anyways seems like some bad seeds are taking advantage of SL residents at the moment 

If something is rezzed or worn that has the ability to withdraw funds from your account, you will receive a giant pop up on your screen warning you about this and giving you the option to allow it or deny it.  Unless it's something from someone you know and trust, and/or something you requested that you know has this feature (such as a commission vendor that allows you to legitimately resell someone else's products), never click "Allow".

@Felicia.

Linden Lab has ceased supporting invisiprims and expects everyone to use alpha layers now. The better creators have supplied alpha layers with their creations for a long time now, sometimes including invisiprims as well. However, you'll still find some selling shoes/boots with only invisiprims so beware. There has been a lot of discussion on this matter. Invisiprims will still work but not with Lighting and Shadows enabled.

Here is a useful thread on SLU about this issue.

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general-sl-discussion/68633-v3-2-5-shadows-no.html

You got hacked.  I've been warned in a couple of group chats that this is happening. 

You've done the right thing to file a ticket with LL and it's great that you've changed your password.  You might want to reopen the ticket now and explain about clicking this link as this might help with their investigation.

It might also be a really good idea to run a full virus/trojan/malware scan on your computer in case there was a "nasty" hidden in the code of the phishing page you were sent to.

Please, never, ever enter a password into a page you reached by a link someone gave you, and always check the address to be sure you are actually on marketplace. 

If someone sends you a link and it asks for a password, never enter the password on that page, but instead, navigate to the marketplace your usual way in another tab/window, and if you are logged in there already, then the link is a phishing scam.  If you are not logged in, log in from the page/tab you directed yourself to (rather than from page of the link you were given) and refresh the page that you got to from the link.  If the link you got was genuine and not a phishing scam you can refresh that page (the link page) after logging in from a page you typed the address into, and it will pick up that you have now logged in.  If that page still asks you for your password after you've logged in from another page, then that link you've been sent is again a phishing scam.

I'm sorry you had this problem.  It's important everywhere on the internet to be very careful of links and never enter a password into a page you got to from a link someone gave you.  Always open the page for yourself byusing your address bar,  typing the page in, or if necessary from a google search result, then refresh the page you were sent  a link to.  If it's not a phishing scam, then no harm, but if it is, the last thing you want to do is put your password there.  It's sad there are nasty scammy folk who make these safety steps necessary but it's not just Secondlife where this happens and you need to be careful about this kind of thing everywhere on the internet.

I hope LL can catch the culprit and I hope you get your lindens back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.