Why are there pointy lines coming out of my mesh clothing.

Serafina Skytower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It's hard to explain without a picture, but certain mesh clothing I wear is showing up with "pointy lines" coming out of it. As my avatar moves, the lines (which are the same color/texture as the clothing item itself) move along with it. Does anyone know what I"m talking about and if I can fix it?

Edit: here is the imagemesh mess.jpg

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Hello Serafina. It would be helpful, as you said, to post here a picture. It is easy. Take a snapshot in world, save the pic on your hard disk and post it here using the icon with the tree. You will see it on the toolbar above if you edit your post (options on the right edit). A first suggestion is to disable VBO under preferences --> graphics --> hardware --> Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects. Disable this option. See if that makes any difference.

• Like 1

That looks like an issue with LOD (Level of Detail). Yours is probably set too low, so you aren't able to see more than the mesh object's most primitive form.  If you are using the Firestorm viewer, it's very easy to change the setting.  Use the Quick Preferences menu (icon on your lower task bar) and set the LOD slider to about 3.5.  I don't use the V3 viewer, so I don't know where the equivalent control is in that one, but you can set the LOD factor in any viewer by opening your Advanced menu (CTRL + D)  and then using Debug Settings >> RenderVolumeLODFactor.  Again, set it to something like 3.5 for optimal performance.

• Like 1

I have seen that type of artifact before...but in my case it was not associated with any particular class of object, like Mesh.  I would just see them at random now and then, anyplace.

The artifact is typical of a graphics card memory problem.  If the Mesh Level of Detail adjustment doesn't solve it, check your graphics card performance with a utility such as the free GPU-Z, and also make sure you are using the latest driver for your graphics card.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.