Micromanaging? Or Rude Customer Service?

Amelia Luna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The fact that we have someone in this thread who was under the impression that a Linden is 30 cents explains why so many people come to the forums tearing their hair out over 30L or 200L. I always wondered why on earth someone would waste the energy over less than a dollar. But here we have someone getting upset over a penny.

Because the people camping are willing to spend all their time sitting looking at other afk campers for hours rather than fork out  roughly $5 for $L1000, and the people paying them are willing to do that as a shortcut, rather than provide something decent that will truly attract shoppers...ie..like provide a decent product/spend time building a decent reputation. Camping is the antithesis of creativity/effort in both directions.

Hi Phil! :D

The deal as described sounds more like a group discount than a giveaway to me. Person spends a minimum amount of money and also does a task. They got their stuff for 50 (or 49? 51?) lindens less than if they paid for it and just left. Chances are the merchant is selling more product/service than they would have been because of the promotion. I think if someone is only going to give another person 16 cents (for any task imaginable), then they are indeed being rude to put off someone that completed said task and didn't recieve what was promised. Both amounts are piddly. 16 cents is just as pathetic as 1/8 of a penny lol.

Now if it's a fun sim and an enjoyable experience, then who cares. Knock yourself out. I loved picking money trees when I started. The whole concept was fun. I had a route down. I made friends with a few others I saw daily, I got to see some neat places. The RL amount was irrelevant as I was neither buying or selling linden at the time. By the time the 30 days was up, I ws gamefully employed in SL and had donated many more times the amount than what I'd picked back to the trees for others.

Not eeryone cares the RL amount. I think the guy needs to have his script fixed or change his add.

Tiffy Vella wrote:

Because the people camping are willing to spend all their time sitting looking at other afk campers for hours rather than fork out  roughly $5 for $L1000,
and the people paying them are willing to do that as a shortcut, rather than provide something decent that will truly attract shoppers
...ie..like provide a decent product/spend time building a decent reputation. Camping is the antithesis of creativity/effort in both directions.

But there's nothing "cheapskate" about doing that. Campers aren't shopping at the time, so attracting people to camp isn't attracting them to spend while they're there. But, if they do fancy buying something while they are there, they won't do it if there's nothing they like enough to buy. So your argument doesn't hold up.

Nope. You haven't given an explanation ast to why paying campers is a "cheapskate" practise. If you have one, please post it.

Hi Eileen.

I wasn't asking Pussycat about the OP's problem. She made a general statement that "camping is a cheapskate practise on both sides" and I asked her how she works that out.

I suspect that she bases her opinion on the old days of camping, when camping places were actually paying for traffic - back when that mattered a lot. If that's the reason for her general statement, then she's wrong, because those days ended a long time ago.

I work it out because they're cheapsaktes.

Look at what Tiffy posted after me.

The economics of it, in relation to the time put in.

Only a cheapskate is willing to sit there for hours to avoid having to pay for a few cents with RL-money. And only an abusive person is willing to take advantage of that.

Newbies get a pass because they don't realize the economics - how cheap linden $s are, especially in that range. But it is pure exploitation to take advantage of their gullability.

disagree

is not exploitation. is just game credits for most people who get them this way

i made about 600L over last few days just doing stuff at dif times on the games that pay credits. i buy some new clothes with them for about 500L. i will buy something else with the rest. dont see how i am exploited when i do this. the clothes shop just goes cool thanks. $293 to go to make my tier for this month

am also happy sometimes to sit a chair if i want whats on it as well. sometimes chat to people. sometimes just cam the sim. listen to the stream. profile perv. other times sort my inventory. can stay on my parcel and sort my inventory. rather tho sit somewhere else and get a prize or some tiny lindens for doing it. when i do then parcel owner is happy i done that and me as well. the shopkeepers who get all my credits off me in the end are the most happy

ps

if someone is giving away $1 an hour (and is lots of people doing it) is not cheap to do this. is $720 a month paid out in tiny little amounts to lots and lots of other people. but that someone is paying for 2 full sims of other peoples shops and businesses when they do this. bc thats where all those tiny little lindens amounts end up going

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Only a cheapskate is willing to sit there for hours to avoid having to pay for a few cents with RL-money. And only an abusive person is willing to take advantage of that.

Newbies get a pass because they don't realize the economics - how cheap linden $s are, especially in that range. But it is pure exploitation to take advantage of their gullability. 

But you said that both ends are cheapskates. Your post only explained your view of campers. That's just one end. Please explain why you say that the other end (those who are giving the money away) are cheapskates.

I have camping chairs in my store so I give money away. I don't like being thought of as, and called, cheapskate and I would like to hear why you say I am.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Taking advantage of and abusive are way too strong in my opinion. What's abusive about giving someone money in exchange for a service? A lot of the people log out or use bots when they sit and camp. I never understood camping either it's so much easier to just buy $5 worth of Linden or shop for freebies. But if they want to it seems like a bargain that is understood in advance. It would only be abusive if they called them filthy names during it or refused to pay after.

I'm trying for a little humor. 

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Taking advantage of and abusive are way too strong in my opinion. What's abusive about giving someone money in exchange for a service? A lot of the people log out or use bots when they sit and camp. I never understood camping either it's so much easier to just buy $5 worth of Linden or shop for freebies. But if they want to it seems like a bargain that is understood in advance. It would only be abusive if they called them filthy names during it or refused to pay after.

I'm trying for a little humor. 

'Taking advantage of' is one of those phrases that can be taken a different way depending on context, connotation and all that. A person can be 'taking advantage of' a great opportunity and that is a possitive thing for them, which may or may not be the case for either party in a scenario like this. I think it could apply both ways depending on the proximity of the place to something like say for instance a newbie info hub.

Abuse? Nah, I can't go along with that. People often sign up for their own misery even knowing full well what it is. It might be abusive if someone was chaining people to the chairs against their will, but again, I know a few people that might actually stand in line for something like that. lol, just sayin.

But ya know, there's a 'buy linden' option right at the top of most viewers and it also pops up whenever you try to buy something you can't afford. A  person isn't likely to be in SL very long without knowing that it's an option for them.

Here's another example of something a lot of people feel is (or was) abuse. Vampire biting. My 1st couple nights in SL I was bit several times by some vampires at a club. I never bought a hud to this day and as far as I know am still 'in limbo' on a scan, lol. Was I abused? Heck no. It was hot. I was like oh neat, I'm getting bit by a vampire. I believe I actually turned to someone in the room with me and said that and made them come over to the PC to see it.

lol, I didn't die. I'm not traumatized by it. I just went on with my SL. Someone got a few pints of blood. Maybe it helped their clan. I did win the contest there. Maybe being a good sport had a little to do with that.

Not trying to derail the thread. It's applicable I think though because in almost all this stuff people have a choice to do it or not. And when you're new and it's just about linden dollars being game credits, it all goes to fun factor. If you're having fun, go for it, if not move on. And if you're trying to actually make money, probably best to check out some options other than camping.

I got a notecard from a "customer" once that was obviously just trying to get something for free, saying that MP had not delivered his item...(I checked, he hadn't tried to buy anything) and just KNEW it was going to be one of those when the notecard started out with "Hull o I m PRINCE 'generic name' and am angry because my purchase not come," etc...

^^^spelling not changed^^^

only the names were changed to protect the simple.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.