Privacy/Stalking

jaq Seriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

deluxegal923 Northman wrote:

No the creepy part is a nano bot that can log local chat THAT is a ToS violation

It's only a Terms of Service violation if it is found being used without the express permission of those being spied on, although even then, LL could view local chat as being for public ears, being open chat and all.

I agree it is very creepy to think that someone might be listening in to local chat, but then I've long got out of the habit of talking in local chat whenever I can avoid it.  If I want to talk to one or two specific people, either IM or Conference Call work better, and then there is much less risk of the conversation ending up on a public blog site.

deluxegal923 Northman wrote:

No the creepy part is a nano bot that can log local chat THAT is a ToS violation

This has been to my memory discussed to death in the past and I think the consensus has been that LOCAL CHAT is up for grabs......it is already PUBLIC.

We have however never had a Linden come in and respond OFFICIALLY to this topic.

• 3 years later...

From my experience, stalking is common in Second Life, also group stalking. It does not seem dealt with and it goes on for long periods of time, years. Its really something Second Life needs to work on. Hacking of computers seems common with stalking too. Its really not understood well how stressful and abusive stalking is and Second Life truely needs to improve and make safety a priority for its residents.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.