If you are making/promoting non-worn mesh...

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am finding that there is still quite a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about mesh -- and by that I mean non-worn mesh -- and how to use the new prim accounting system to slash prims on non-mesh items.  I have been sending info to my group, making blog posts, etc., and Charlar Linden has assured us in the mesh forum that he will be thinking of ways LL can assist in educating the populace.

Meanwhile here is my post with very basic information about what mesh is http://lagalleriasl.blogspot.com/2012/01/secrets-about-mesh.html  and here is Jenni Darkwatch's EXCELLENT explanation about how to cut prims even if you don't own any mesh  http://lagalleriasl.blogspot.com/p/prims-land-impact-by-jenni-darkwatch.html.  

Anyone else have some good basic info consumer-oriented links I can add to the page?

I tested setting some building's Physics type to Convex Hull and the results were mixed. 

Some of the buildings halved their land impact, some had a reduction of only a few, but the most interesting ones inflated their impact 10 fold or more so the parcel ran full and they got returned to Lost and Found. ... which was not so good really. 

One of the buldings that got returned interestingly had it's impact halved on re-rezz, whereas the other one was destroyed and a good copy had to be rezzed from inventory. 

Lessons learned: Take a copy of the buildings / items you try this on before proceeding. 

Gavin Hird wrote:

I tested setting some building's Physics type to Convex Hull and the results were mixed. 

Some of the buildings halved their land impact, some had a reduction of only a few, but the most interesting ones inflated their impact 10 fold or more so the parcel ran full and they got returned to Lost and Found. ... which was not so good really. 

One of the buldings that got returned interestingly had it's impact halved on re-rezz, whereas the other one was destroyed and a good copy had to be rezzed from inventory. 

Lessons learned: Take a copy of the buildings / items you try this on before proceeding. 

Gavin,.... this is the exact thing I was thinking and fearful of as soon as I read the suggestions on how to SIMPLY TEST CONVEX HULL on your own land.

Your test confirmed my fears when I read the blog post.

That was dangerous advise to provide in the blog for exactly what I thought of when reading it.  "What happens if the change to Convex max's my parcel of land?'

Glad yo uproved that theory.

In this case the tests were controlled, but I have seen builds more or less completely destroyed by randomly returned prims from a parcel that runs full. Patching it together after can be very painful (many build without linking and having copies.)

So please test this in a sandbox, or on a parcel where you can't / don't mind if you damage your other builds. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

Guys, for cryin out loud. Really.

I put Jenni's link right there in my post and here are two creators who evidently have not read it.

Whatt?  I did read it this afternoon when you posted the link in this thread.  And what my concerns were after reading her blog was proven to be true by Gavin.

Using Convex Hull does not always reduce prim count.  As Jenn said - it can also increase prim count.  But as Gavin said... more than double - even 10 fold.  Jenn might have warned readers to be careful changing to convex hull's on large prim groups - specially if your available prim count on your land is low.

I admit that I only read Jenn's blog post .... nothing more.  Guess I should have read through the links but I was at work and ran out of time.

cYo provides a free mesh education kit, you can pick it up in our main store. In the kit are two  lamps, they look exactly the same when you rezz them, but one is made as sculpty and the other is made as mesh.

There is a notecard included that points out the differences between sculpties and meshes. It is about the difference in texturing a sculpt or a mesh, prim count, your name as a creator, differences in level of details and viewers. It aims at my target group: builders and creators. So it is not directly consumer-oriented, but ment for people who buy sculpties or meshes to use in their own builds.

I did some testing on this. Here are my results:

1. Prims made of Boxes or Cylinders receive the savings when grouped as convex hull.  It halves their total cost. e.g. 40 boxes cost 20 prims.

2. Scripts negate this benefit.  Scripted doors, etc.  

3. Sphere, Torus and Tubes do not benefit from convex hull.  Rings double land impact when linked as convex hull. Leave them as prim.

4.  Sculpties may go up.  Leave them as prim.

5.  Boxes which have been hollowed cannot be walked through as convex hull.

6.  You can group sculpties (set to prim) and boxes set to convex hull in one group.  the items set to prim will count as one, and the convex hull set items will calculate accordingly.  e.g.  10 items set to prim + 10 boxes set to convex hull = 15 prims total.  Leave scripted items out of the group, even if they are set to prim.

braylasana wrote:

I did some testing on this. Here are my results:

1. Prims made of Boxes or Cylinders receive the savings when grouped as convex hull.  It halves their total cost. e.g. 40 boxes cost 20 prims.

2. Scripts negate this benefit.  Scripted doors, etc.  

3. Sphere, Torus and Tubes do not benefit from convex hull.  Rings double land impact when linked as convex hull. Leave them as prim.

4.  Sculpties may go up.  Leave them as prim.

5.  Boxes which have been hollowed cannot be walked through as convex hull.

6.  You can group sculpties (set to prim) and boxes set to convex hull in one group.  the items set to prim will count as one, and the convex hull set items will calculate accordingly.  e.g.  10 items set to prim + 10 boxes set to convex hull = 15 prims total.  Leave scripted items out of the group, even if they are set to prim.

thanks so much for this posting.  This is very valuable.  I was gonna make my own home and gallery more efficient but based on what you are saying, Convex Hull is not going to save too much or even work.  For example, I use mega Cylinder prims that have been hollowed out and my 6 floors of my gallery are inside of these hollowed out or cut out cylinders.  From what you say - Convex hull will simplify the physics and not allow me to walk inside my gallery or home.

I was gonna take my gallery to the beta grid and rez it so I grouped the entire build up and took it into inventory and went to the beta grid.  But on that grid this grouped build was not available.  I guess they only copy my inventory once a day or week.

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

cYo provides a free mesh education kit, you can pick it up in our
. In the kit are two  lamps, they look exactly the same when you rezz them, but one is made as sculpty and the other is made as mesh.

There is a notecard included that points out the differences between sculpties and meshes. It is about the difference in texturing a sculpt or a mesh, prim count, your name as a creator, differences in level of details and viewers. It aims at my target group: builders and creators. So it is not directly consumer-oriented, but ment for people who buy sculpties or meshes to use in their own builds.

Excellent, Maddie, because there is a huge need for creator education as well! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.