All objects blurry, would like help or advice

Lanphrost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alright, so I'm not sure this is exactly where this thread goes, but everything in SL is blurry. I used to get on SL on a small laptop that lagged horribly, so eventually I gave it up. But that laptop always rendered things properly...

Now I'm on a far better laptop, but none of the textures will load fully, everything looks blurry and I can't read anything written on walls/boards/boxes/etc...

I'm not sure how to pull up the quick specs of my computer, but if you want to help me and need to know that stuff all I need is a basic rundown, I'm a quick learner.

Second Life 3.2.6 (248086) Jan 19 2012 13:14:05 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 109,090.0, 349,229.0, 30.0 in Phoenix located at sim8380.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.38.193:13004)
Second Life Server 12.01.24.248357
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Pentium® CPU        P6100  @ 2.00GHz (1995.07 MHz)
Memory: 2807 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2509
OpenGL Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2509

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 3.2.0002.10426

Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 4/5,968 (0.1%)

Thank you for the interest in helping~

I can't really do anything in SL until I get this fixed.

"...

CPU: Intel® Pentium® CPU        P6100  @ 2.00GHz (1995.07 MHz)

Memory: 2807 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics

..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's your problem (highlighted in red).  That's a graphic processor intergrated into your CPU chipset.  It's nothing more than a very basic graphics accelerator not at all suited for 3D graphics. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobile Pentium P6100 is a dual-core budget microprocessor built on Westmere microarchitecture. The micro-architecture uses newer 32 nm manufacturing process, and integrates two dies in one package. The first die contains two CPU cores and shared 3 MB L3 cache, while the second die includes DDR3-compatible memory controller, and HD-capable graphics controller running at 500 MHz. The P6100 microprocessor runs at 2 GHz, and incorporates only basic Westemere technologies - EM64T, Execute disable bit and SSE instructions up to SSE4. Thermal Design Power of this model is 35 Watt, which is standard for mobile processors of its class. The Pentium Mobile P6100 will be manufactured in micro-PGA package only, and will fit socket 988 motherboards. The CPU should be available in 2010, and it is rumored to be launched in September 2010.

Dual-Core Pentium P6100 was spotted in Lenovo notebooks as early as May 2010. Since then this model appeared in specifications of a few other notebooks:

• Acer eMachines D732 and E732.
  • Fujitsu LIFEBOOK NH570 and LIFEBOOK A530/AH530.
  • Lenovo IdeaPad Z360 and Z560 notebooks.
  •  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're lucky SL runs at all with that graphics chipset.  About the only thing you can do is set your graphics in your preferences to the lowest you can and be patient for things to render around you.  Apparently this new computer is not quite as powerful as you thought.  Newer doesn't mean it's better.

Most textures in SL are 2D (or flat).  But thos textures are invaribly placed on 3D objects.  And then there's the unique quality that SL has that your other 3D programs do not have..........the content is user created (read that as "amateur created").  The other 3D programs are created by professionals and optimized for performance.........they will run faster and smoother because of that.  Your graphics processor is just not up to the task.........it's weak, it's basic and it just won't do it.  It's not designed for a high graphic invironment.......basic light stuff it can handle (just not the heavy duty stuff SL requires).

I'm sorry I can't give you better news.  I'm not going to lie and tell you to do something that won't help.  You could try updating your dirvers but that's not the problem.........so do it but don't expect any improvement.

The graphics processor you have sucks. However, that should just make it slow and prevent things like shadows from working. If the GPU could not handle SL the viewer should report that to you and refuse to run. That everything is blurry may simply be a memory issue. The integrated graphics uses your standard RAM for much of the video memory needed.

Make sure to shut down everything that you can. Google for how to improve Win7 performance. There will be sites that tell you how to close down uneeded services and things like the Java and Google update processes.

I suggest that you stick with HTTP Texture get. It is more reliable and faster. When you change between HTTP and the older UDP, it is probably a good idea to clear the cache. Once upon a time people switched back to UDP and things worked better because more UDP servers were carrying less load. Now that LL has more server carrying the HTTP load UDP is getting flaky. 

If that doesn't help, I suggest eBay. 

Is that right, Nalates?

Because I used to get a lot quicker texture rezzing time when I would uncheck HTTP textures, but lately, textures are taking forever to load again. 

Is your recommendation to check HTTP textures, clear cache and relog? If so, that would be totally awesome, cause all the gray textures are starting to get to me. 

Ok, I put a check mark by HTTP Textures, hit clear cache, logged out, logged in, and waited for inventory to fully load. Visited some shops, textures stuck at grey. Clicked HTTP Textures to   remove the check mark, textures rezzed almost immediately. What does seem to help, is checking Full Res Textures under Develop > Rendering.

My slow res time must be my sub par internet connection.

Hello Lanphrost. About your graphics card i have nothing to add, other participants covered me. If the problem with blurry textures started suddently while it was working in past i would definitely recommend you to clear your cache under your preferences and relog. I think that it will fix your issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found the problem and it had nothing to do with my Gcard sucking. While it's not the best, the problem was a built in setting that required going into a driver specific menu, the anisotropic filtering quality was set to low/performance, which affects some textures but not others. Thus, I had trouble running SL while other games didn't have the problem. I learned this from another game, but I thought I'd share the info here:

If you're running SL on an Intel Integrated chipset and have blurry textures right click your desktop and select 'graphics properties'

Once you've done that find Anisoptric Filtering and set it to quality, rather than performance. That should clear up any blurriness on this and other games.

Love you all, thank you for all the helpful suggestions <3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.