What prayer is needed?

JustOneMore Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I went to bed last night before it got taken care of.  All I have to say is that that was a boring self replicating attack.........the flying monkeys and penises or grey goo were much more exciting.  :)

I wonder if, left alone that attack would have brought the grid down.........the attacks of the old days did!!  You really had ot have a sense of humor back in 2006 into 2007.  :smileyvery-happy:

Often when the Lab does not respond as one thinks they should the assumption is made they are do nothing.

The Lab's staff is busy. While it is not comforting to look at the numbers when one's problem is apparently not being handled, the numbers are available.

Viewer problems reported and handled. Scroll down to the graph.

Server problems reported and handled.

Web Site/Market Place problems reported and handled.

Snowstorm problems reported and handled. This project has a large number of feature requests. For the last few weeks most effort is going into stability and performance issues rather than adding features. So, you see a high number of 'not fixed' items.

Shinning problems reported and handled. This projects scope is unclear to me. I know much of it has to do with OpenGL compatibility issues and other rendering issues.

Jira statistics for the developers has nothing to do with the support staff and a complete failure to understand the situation.  the Lab is doing nothing about a spreading virus over the mainland- and the answer from suppor twas "The land owners have to clean it up".....   She ignored me when I pointed out it's on land owned by Govenor Linden....

I see no such statistics for customer support- as youw ould expect in a "transparent": oragnization-

First Call resolution?  Customer Satisfaction?  Time to process tickets?   Those are the statistics that would matter here- not Jira bugs.  (Oh, and the statistics in JIRA are completely missleading because "closed" counts all the duplicate ones that robots close- or stuff marked 'will not fix" or "need more information"... the actual number of resolved issues can be seen in the changelogs- and I am less impressed with that.

What you are talking about is a grid wide restart.........probably with a delay of about 30 minutes so that all those scripts can die completely.  What do you think the vast majority of the residents would think of that?  I was here when we had grid outages............the venom spewed was vicious.

Linden land has build disabled except in "rezz zones" (and there they have auto-return turn on for some time I really don't know.....but you can't rezz something in a rezz zone and expect it to remain long without moving on with your vehicle).  What you are seeing is what I saw on my land last night is those invisible prims creeping over my property line.  Depending on how large the prim is and where it's center is determines how far it creeps over........on my land last night that was about 10 meters.  If the land owners turned off build and object entry the replicating prims would have no where to go......they would die.  Maybe in rezz zones they would persist for the auto-return time and on abandoned land with build and object entry enabled the problem would stay around..........I don't know, I'm no scripter and I certainly don't know how griefers create self replicating prims.  But the problem would not be as widespread as you see now if the owners turned off build and object entry.  it stopped in my land in less than 5 minutes last night.

And another thing you have to think about.  Most people don't even have a problem with this "virus" (which is not a virus, but a griefing attack......that's just a name.  There is no scary virus infecting the grid).  You shut down the grid for a "problem" that most people are not experiencing the effects of you'll have a virtual uprising in SL.  it's not that LL is ignoring the problem now that they know about it but they are being realistic......you are not.  By the way, someone mentioned that the reason I was not getting pushed and shoved around last nigth was because I had 'no push" enabled (that's true but my neighbor does not and my neighbor also has build and object entry enabled and was over run with the "virus"...........I was not pushed and hit when I walked onto his land and stood there for 10 or 5 minutes this morning).  It's a problem, I admit....but it's not a huge problem.  LL has more serious stuff to take care of right now..........such as stuck presence (ghosting) to take care.  Why not let them take care of the problems......they have access to the equipment and the expertise that you do not have.

Since the base generating prim is identical. LL could use one of the methods they have used in the past.  LL has blacklisted objects before- such as the Megaprim they had to block to stop a griefing attack.  They also have the IP Replacement tool that could scour the databases.

I do not believe these are tools the less experienced weekend staff is exposed to and I am hoping that this is resolved with the weekday staff.

Oh- and how do you know this "harmless" attack isn't what is causing the ghosting problems?  Do you know how long the attack has been going on? I don't!  I just know when I found it.  I have not checked every mainland parcel.  

Yes, if everyone turned off object entry, this wouldn't happen.  Vehicles would also be useless.  Turning off object entry wholesale across the grid is not the solution. Cleaning the objects through a systematic server side attack would.

Agreed.

I didn't say the attack was harmless..........I said it's not critical and most most people would not even notice it.  I don't know if this attack is the base for the presence issue that is known.........if it is then don't you think an experienced troubleshooter of network issues would also think "Maybe, just maybe this invisible, self-replicating issue is related?"  I thought of it and so did you........I'm sure more than just one or two grid monkeys have or will think of it too.  But, I'll stand by my assertion that (as it stands now) this attack is not something that needs top priority.....not until it is tied to another problem that is critical.  It hasn't so far............and to tie the two together without any knowledge of the grid (which is impossible for you are anyone else who is not privey to the workings of the grid to have). 

Let them fix it.....believe me they will.  I've been around long enough to realize that those guys do know what they are doing and that they take pride in what they do.  They are not the idiots you seem to think they are.

Peggy,

The problem is, as with almost all organizations, is getting the message to someone who can recognize what the issue is and handle it in an effective way is impossible.  I need to convince someone to care about the issue.  These Grid Monkeys might not KNOW about this attack and therefore don't know to connect it with the pressence issue.  I have no idea how they connect- but I know that there is no way engineering will be able to connect it to anything if no one tells them they are THERE.

Again, I agree.  You and others have let them know.......I was a doubter at first but then I finally saw what you were talking about.  You persisted where I wouldn't......that's good on you.  And you got at least on Linden involved...I feel pretty confident that the one Linden you got involved got involved by either a support ticket or and AR.  Logic says they have to put some resolution to the issue or to kick the can down the road to someone else........there's some kind of "report".  The "A" comes on duty and reads the reports to catch up on what has happened since last Friday's beer after work at the local bar.......time to get to work.  Let them do their job...........without dissing the weekend crew ("B" team).

You're still going on about incompetence........that's not fair.  It also shows that you don't know if it's a difficult issue or some "oh, you just do this and it done" thing.  Plus the issue for all appearances is not critical.  Maybe it is related...........if so, someone who is in a postion to find out and fix it will do so.  You're still doubting the competence of LL.  And you are doubting from a stance of total ignorance of what is causing what and how to fix it.  That's what I'm saying.  You did your part....let LL do their part (without the inuendos of incompetency).

Knowl Paine wrote:

Grief can disappear as quickly as it appeared, I do not doubt the validity  of your claims. I once followed hundreds of floating boxes from Abotts to Bolinas and every Region in between, I didn't realize that griefing objects could roll out of the Sandbox, and then keep on rolling.

Many Countries are moving their Servers underground to protect from the coming Technology Wars. I'm starting to believe that anything short of a Missile strike, will do little prevent the "Watch" video spam.

Foreign Countries have been and will always be the largest counterfeiters of other Nation's Currencies. Foreign Countries are also responsible for not being responsible for their Citizens.

This was one such griefing attack.  Timed nicely for the "cameras" too.

good grief.jpg

I was on my way to bed, saw this post, logged back in to take a look. This is Fishii in this moment.

fishii.jpg

I notice that both the creator and the owner of this self-replicating thing are no longer listed in searches, so LL have obviously taken some action against the perpetrators. 

There are Linden people somewhere present in world constantly cleaning up messes like this. I won't pretend to understand how or why they seem not to get on top of certain things that appear on face value to be a risk to the grid one way or another, even from the point of view of aesthetics.  I have to trust that the Linden people know what they are doing with their own equipment.  All the rest of us can do is keep caring enough to keep our respective corners of the world in order, keep reporting things if we see the need, and hope for the best.

None of it is worth getting our knickers in a knot over.

Regarding the current stuck presence issue, I am 99.99% sure it's not been caused by anything like this.

The creator was in search last night- so that they are gone is a good sign.  I submitted another 20 AR's tonight-  basically they want AR's so they can find em and clear em.  For some reason they can't clean them through a gridwide blacklist.  The problem is that Pini was cleared- and then it was re-infected since it's self-replicating.

I actually would love to go around clearing up grid litter like this - we need more moles!

Beggars belief though that people who are obviously quite talented and have enough of a brain to create things that can potential destruct or disrupt the enjoyment of others can't channel their energies into something more worthwhile.

And all these motorbikes and planes and other vehicles I see crashed for all time in SL, I would return them to their owner - maybe the owner would have long-forgotten they had the item (copyable of course) in their inventory and it might spur them on to ride the highways once again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.