Why do some hairs have this choppy alpha problem?

Libera Romano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know why some hairs have this choppy alpha problem? Is it me? Is it my computer, settings, etc? I seem to have this problem viewing just certain hairs. I never buy them when I see this problem, so is it the hair or me? I hope you can see from this picture what I'm talking about. The edges aren't smooth like they should be. bad alpha_001.jpg

Okay.......it's been a while since I bought hair (maybe a couple months) and the normal demo hair has the sign above the head with demo plastered all over it.  Maybe this is a new way to show that the hair is a demo..........I agree it's not a good way to show the hair but I can see a hair creator doing that.  It might not be a problem but something intentional.

The demo streaks are pretty common nowadays, as the box over the head thing is no hindrance if all you want to do is take a photo.

I think the jagged edges she is referring to are the actual spray painty looking strands, especially noticeable at the very top of the photo. It is my opinion that that is just the way the hair was made, during the drawing of the texture, some kind of process was used that produced this airbrush type effect.

Libera, are you seeing this with only a particular designer, or is it random? 

Ahhh, yeah..........I see it now.  :)  Not the "Demo" but the poorly textured hair itself.  That is a product of how the texture was made and/or saved.  I've had that problem with textures I've made before.........it was anti-alisiasing.  I had not set anti-alisiasing in my editing program.  Also saving as PNG can do that too.  It's a creator problem.....not anything to do with SL or the viewer.  I wouldn't purchase a hair with that either.

The choppyness is the result in a change over how alphas are handled.  As you can see, it's horribly imperfect. (T_T)

Up until now, all alphas other than Linden trees and the avatar mesh have been treated as if they're 8-bit and have 256 potential levels of transparency.  Because of this, the client has had the daunting task of deciding which texture is in front while dealing with multiple alpha surfaces. (._.)

Now, I believe the feature is called "Automatic Alpha", but someone can correct me.  What the client is doing is finding textures with alpha values 0x00 and 0xFF and not much in between.  Once it passes some sort of threshold, the client renders it as a 1-bit alpha.  Meaning, it's visible or it's not.  This is far easier to overlay from one alpha to the next since there's no blending necessary.  (^_^)

But... I don't believe the current threshold has been set at its best.  Hair strands in alpha textures do tend to be 'on' or 'off' but still depend on the shades in between to smooth themselves out.  Once the client knocks it to 1-bit, that's lost and you get that grainy, pixellated look. (>_<)

I haven't explored it much, but, there's a setting either in preferences or a debug setting for Automatic Alpha (someone please correct me).  This can disable the feature so things will go back to as they were before.. (^_^)

Another solution (And, it's hard work) is to find each alpha textured prim and set Transparency to 1%.  This will be such a small change in transparency that it'll relatively go unnoticed, but, it'll be enough to "trick" automatic alpha to not trigger and leave your hair strands alone.  (^_^)

****WARNING!!! - Don't do this to the whole head of hair.  The solid textured prims need to stay solid or things just get uglier!!! DX **** 

• Like 1

So this a a quick and dirty way to "fix" the alpha sorting glitch that been around since 32 bit textures?  It need to go the trash heap.  The fix is in how graphics are rendered.....not fooling the graphics cards into thinking something is all or nothing. 

If what you say is true (and I have no reason to disbelieve you) bad move Linden Lab.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.