Animated gif as Store Banner?

Irene Muni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have not managed to find it.

Is it allowed a animated gift as Store Banner in the Marketplace?

1) I can edit my store information and upload the animated gif (700x100 pixels).

2) I see the animated gif in my "Merchat Home" page.

3) But in "My Store" page the animated gift is not showed. Only appears (as text) the name of the gif.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

You have to convert it to a texture.

Use this website.
Site: http://www.mrmonke.net/
The site explains some of the logic behind tiled textures and it's limitations.

IT is important to realize the limitations of animated textures in Secondlife.

It lets you upload an animated gif and edit it -in your browser- per frame.

You can pick what frames to use, what frames to skip in various ways and set animationspeed.
The site generates a texture to use in Second Life and a LSL script to use in secondlife.

It's explained on the sites FAQ and in the generated LSL Script how to use, but it's quite simple.
The script also lets you set proper aspect ratio inside lsl with a menu and sets the object name to the gif image name.
So you don't have to rename all your objects from 'object'

FAQ: http://www.mrmonke.net/Forum/gif2ani.aspx?g=posts&t=6
Example: http://www.mrmonke.net/Forum/gif2ani.aspx?g=posts&t=7

• 4 years later...

i'm sorry about resurrecting a very old post, but since some of the pertinent links are broken i wanted to post the answer here.  

i'm a webmaster over a few websites.  i believe it's impossible to animate your marketplace gif banner publically at this time (101016)

this is why i believe this is the case...

i tested the most basic possible gif (2 frames) and i am doing exactly what the SL website tells me to do when i upload.  the gif animates fine privately, which tells me i'm uploading it correctly.  when other people view your shop it is not an animated banner.  the second life marketplace website actually changes your gif to a jpg when it's viewed from the public "my store" page.    i don't know if this was intentional, or something which was overlooked by the second life webmaster.  if there is any way to get your banner to animate publically, it would involve some type of trick you would not find on any official second life webpage.  there seems to be no way to get an animated banner on your marktplace at this time.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.