Suggestion: (not sure if already possible) Pics of inventory!

MsShy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I haven't even been playing a week and already I have a suggestion with regards to inventory. It would be great if instead of a list of items if there were pics of each item so that you could see what each looked like. It would make it easier for dressing your avatar especially if you are looking for a certain item but don't remember the name of it (I find that when I am looking for a particular shirt I end up trying on all the shirt, undershirts, and sometimes I find it in jackets). Even if you just made this possible on the website for when people are logged in to their account, perhaps a inventory tab, and then sub categories. That would make it possible to scan through and take note of the name of the item and then make it easier to find it in game, and would also save wasted time in the change rooms. Thx!!! :matte-motes-big-grin:

You can do this yourself, by taking pics and saving them to your computer in a folder titled something like "SL clothing" (or whatever you wanted). There are also items out there that do this; I have a wardrobe HUD that works wonderfully for this purpose. I don't know that it's something practical for LL to support, but other residents have had the same idea ^_^

This would be impossible for LL to do for you, but you could take pictures of your inventory yourself. Every picture you take & save to your inventory costs you $L 10. Personally, I don't want to spend probably a hundred dollars to take pictures of every virtual item I own.

You can save pictures to your computer hard drive for free though. You can either save all these pictures in a folder yourself, or you can buy an inventory organizer on the Marketplace that helps you organize these pictures..

I try to keep my inventory in folders that help me find what I want, change the title of clothing folders so I have an idea what the outfit looks like, save pictures that come with items in their folders, & sometimes take a picture myself to put in the folder. At some point, though, we have to ask ourselves, "If I have so much inventory that I can't keep track of it all, do I really need all that stuff?"

I'm getting close to 25,000 items now, but I still buy a few things & still collect freebies all the time. At this point it's harder to get rid of stuff than it is to collect more.

This has been suggested in the past......several times, in fact.  What you are asking for is thumbnail images for all your testures and items.  I'm pretty sure LL could do that with little trouble.  But I think they don't for a very good reason.  An image file is many times larger than just a marker pointing to where the texture or item is stored on the servers.....the "list" is nothing more than a shortcut to the file.  Those shortcuts are very small in size.......an image (even a small thumbnail) is 100's or 1,000's of times larger.  It can take a few seconds to a few minutes to load the markers or list as it is right now (depending on concurrency and what's going on at the location of your avatar on the grid).  Having to download those thumbnails will take much much longer (maybe hours if your inventory is large).  You would not like that at all..........I think no one would.

If you want to organize your textures and items you can do that by making folders with like items and naming them so that it makes sense to you and would make it easier for you to find what you are looking for.  Most people who have been in SL do that already (especially if they have large inventories).  You can also take snapshots and save to your hard drive (that's free) and create a mini database with the images that you can look at to find the name of the items you are wanting.......it's already been mentioned in this thread.  It will be time consuming and you would have to stay on top of your inventory to keep it organized........like every time you purchase or obtain somthing.  I don't of anyone doing such a thing but I'm sure someone does it (what a paragon of patence those people are :) ).

In short the reason it is not doen (in my opinion) is that it would not be practical.  And it would harm SL more than it ever would help.  People complain about minor lag issues such as haveing to wait a few seconds for sculpties to rezz or for everyone in a club to rezz on a busy night......think of the complaints about hours for anything to rezz no matter how busy the place you are located and your inventory not being available for hours.  Think about the cache corruption that would occur with such textures having to be stored temporarily on your computer....how huge would your cache have to be (2, 3 or rmore gigs?)?  You really wouldn't like the results...........convenience be damned.  :smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.