Newbie rubberbanding

Trix Braveheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is there a reason why the rubberbanding issue seems worse with newbies? Something in the outfits? I'm watching two of them walking on the spot, running in place and rbberbanding when they do get going. It' s like a constant stutter.

Everyone else on the sim is fine, moving perfectly, just the people under 4 days...at least that's the oldest of them.

Hoping there is something we can tell them that helps, must be incredibly frustrating...oh right, we used to all do it

3 answers to this question

It does sound like their computers are not hefty enough to run SL -- especially the newest viewer if that is what they installed (the default and the most likely one for new folks to use). It is VERY resource hungry. So the best advice you might give them is to try Phoenix or another third party viewer which doesn't need so much power and graphics capabilities. This won't work forever however as support for viewer 1s is going away in the not too distant future according to LL and Phoenix - Firestorm devs.

I suspec that all those other folks either have stellar machines or have moved to a less intensive viewer and can now manage. I know tons of folks that can not run viewer 3.

My experience of this is that rubberbanding is more of a network or server issue than a graphics setting issue. I am not at all sure of this, and could very well be wrong. I think, though, that setting the graphics to high will reduce the fps, but not necessarily cause rubberbanding. It will affect what you see in your own viewer and it will be difficult to control the avatar, but you will appear 'normal' to others.

Packet loss/too high max bandwidth, too slow internet connection or a wonky wireless connection is, in my experience, much more likely causes of rubber banding. It is even more likely to cause textures and objects to stay gray. As is server issues, but that will tend to affect everybody in the sim.

Could it have something to do with what attachments they are wearing - Freebie items from yesteryear with a million scripts in them, perhaps?

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.