Marketplace purchases

MsShy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi! Just started playing a couple days ago and just curious about items in the Marketplace. First of all, does every item that is a Demo have that word on it? (I picked up a free skin and when I tried it on, it said demo all over it). Also, I was wondering something about the permissions of items, such as what are the advantages of having the permission to transfer or copy, and what are the disadvantages of not having permission for transfer/copy or both? I just want to be able to purchase items, wear them, and modify them. (still unable to make any lindens at Linden Relms due to no game hub appearing) Not quite sure I fully understand what "skins" are...perhaps skin colouring to make the avatar look more realistic? I guess I will try to figure it out some other time, lol!!

Thanks!!! :)

Ok.

Skins are what makes our avatars look like they do, like our real skin. The skin goes over our shape, like our real skeleton.

So a skin and a shape make up our basic appearance along with eyes and hairbase (also called brow shapers).

Demos are available to try on skins before purchasing them so you can see if you like them or not. They say demo on them so you don't just try the demo and not buy the skin.

The permissions of things determine if you can modify, copy, or transfer them.

The pros and cons are subjects of debate, but the simple reasoning behind certain combinations seem to be universally accepted:

Modify/Copy/No Transfer lets you modify your purchase and also allows you to make a copy of the original in case you mess up the copy. Very useful for prim clothing and hair.

Items that are no transfer prevents you from giving away or reselling something you have modified or made multiple copies of.

Some items may be No Modify/ No Copy/ Yes Transfer so that if you don't wish to keep it you can pass on or sell that item, although selling others creations is tended to be frowned upon but as far as I know, Transfer means permission to resell.  

See Next Owner Permissions FAQ:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Permissions-on-objects/ta-p/700129#Next_owner_permissions_FAQ

Hi LoveAngeL! I used the link http://secondlife.com/destination/linden-realms-portal-park-1 to go to Park 1, and then followed the arrows through the door. After I went through and dropped, a note popped up that said to wait. I waited for a bit and then started walking and went into the nearest building. Not sure if I was supposed to wait longer, but I found out from doing some searching that I was supposed to get a game hub.

Did you mean I should try Park 2? Thx!!

I have an issue with portal park 1, every.single.time. It never loads the hud. No clue why, lol.

I typically use portal park 3, and never have issues with it.

I assume the most obvious of things, a mesh enabled viewer, isn't your issue, biut if you cannot see scenery and it all looks like odd boxes and circles, try using a different viewer. That's a known problem(hud not applying) when you use a non-mesh enabled viewer to go to the realms.

Just to expand a bit on permisisons...

If you want to modify things, its always best to get an item that is mody/copy/no transfer. for the very reason that Charlotte stated.  If you mess up acidently you can fall back on a copy.  Howver be sure to make a copy before you mod something so you have two in your inventory, one the original, and one the mod version.

You will also see items from time to time that are both copy and transfer, also known as full perm items.  These items are either open source freebies or intended to be used as a kind of building supply for a larger product or a resale business.   

Open Source freebies are pretty much that.  You can use them for personal use or give them away, but its considered bad form to sell them, since anyone can get them for free. 

Items intended to be used as building supplies come with a license that doesn't allow you to sell the actual item by itself.  For instance a texture can only be applied to a prim, you can't sell the texture itself.  Of if you buy a set of full perm stairs, you can't sell just the stairs, you have to use them as part of a building you build to sell. 

Items you can buy just for resale you can sell as is.  But generally speaking these items are lower in quality that what people are interested in spending money on. If you are interested in reselling, your better off getting what is known as an affiliate vendor or franchise vendor.  The items to sell are much higher in quality and may already have a large customer following.  You don't get actual merchandise with these, you get a vendor that dispenses it when someone pays for it.  The payment is put in your account, then a portion is sent to the original creators account.  The creator always getting the larger share and you get a commission for selling it.  The split varies by depending on the franchise agreement.

Items sometimes come in your choice of permissions.  A lot of creators may make an item copy or transferable for personal use, and also make the identical item available as full perm.  But the full perm item is always more expensive since you are more than likely going to use it to make money yourself.  In that case its only fair that the orginal creator gets more money too. 

MsShy wrote:

Hi LoveAngeL! I used the link 
 to go to Park 1, and then followed the arrows through the door. After I went through and dropped, a note popped up that said to wait. I waited for a bit and then started walking and went into the nearest building. Not sure if I was supposed to wait longer, but I found out from doing some searching that I was supposed to get a game hub.

Did you mean I should try Park 2? Thx!!

I meant portal 3. It is the only portal which works for me when i start LR. However, after using the search i can walk through other portals without problems. Have in your mind that even you don't see the hud, you can continue to play, collect crystals and exchange them. Still counts, just you don't know how many you have collected.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.